PDA

View Full Version : Sealant or Carnuba ?

baker
04-01-2007, 10:54 AM
About half the cars I detail are light colored, mostly silvers or greys, and they don`t quite get the look of reds, dark blues or blacks, with the wet shimmer. How many people use a good sealant on the lighter colors as opposed to a carnuba?

JasonD
04-01-2007, 10:57 AM
I do!! :D :wavey

David Fermani
04-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Me too. Light colored cars just don`t have the needs that dark ones do and for me, don`t require a carnuba. Nothing`s better for darks one`s though.

Accumulator
04-01-2007, 11:29 AM
I use sealants on two of our silver cars and carnaubas on (uhm..counting...) three. Silver can look *very* good with carnauba on it. I use KSG on my silver Mazda, and to be honest it looked better when I topped the KSG with #16.

My wife`s A8 and my S8 are virtually identical, I use carnauba on hers and sealants on mine. While they look different with #16 on hers and UPP on mine, it`s not like the #16 looks inferior.

Same ol` same ol` IMO...95% of it is prep and prepping silver is a royal PIA because it`s so hard to see very light flaws. So that "hidden" marring..the stuff that "nobody sees anyhow" makes the light refract and that spoils the look in a subtle way.

FWIW, my wife`s all time favorite look on (Audi) silver was a carnauba: Souveran. She *still* remembers how she liked that so well, and she`s not the sort of person who really cares about this stuff. But she`s seen a whole lot of different LSPs on silver Audis over the years, so when one product out of maybe twenty makes that sort of impression it tells me something.

BigHonu
04-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Count me as a nuba convert on light colors. I`ve done #21, 2180, and KSG on light colored cars (silver and white) and always like the look better when topping with a carnauba. You always hear about the `warmth` a wax will give the appearance, and that is what keeps me going back to using the wax topper.

Current favorite combo is to go FK 215/5050. Nice, bright look with amazing gloss. RMG/CMW is another good combo. RMG doesn`t do much for improving the look of white, but it does seem to make the gloss more uniform across panels at certain angles.

kleraudio
04-01-2007, 03:36 PM
How bout a mix, #26 does it for me on my silver truck!

Jim

duffman
04-01-2007, 05:01 PM
I have the same truck bro, a 01 silver quad 4x4 I LOVE IT!

I just did the spring clean up on it this week and ended with KSG but i have some #26 so thats going on after next wash

RallyMSP
04-01-2007, 05:13 PM
I top my silver mazda with Liquid Soveran over AJ and I get a more noticiable look and feel.

kleraudio
04-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Yea duffman, you will like it alot!

Nice truck!

Jim

joshtpa
04-01-2007, 07:31 PM
On my white car, I use a lot of different things. FMJ, #26, Nattys Paste, Liquid Soveran, and NXT.

On the black truck, I really prefer Nattys Blue, or FMJ.

imported_WCD
04-01-2007, 07:55 PM
I sometimes change in the winter vs. summer. The fracture point (melting point) for a carnauba is 165 degrees while a sealant is 392 degrees. Sometimes it`s the longevity that I want so it depends on the temps outside that keep the protection longer.

Rob Regan

Way2SSlow
04-01-2007, 08:00 PM
I have a black car and a white one. I happen to love Carnauba on white. I like sealants and carnauba on my white car, as I can appreciate them both. I really dont care much for sealants on black. My combo of late has been Poly Seal and OCW and I`ve been EXTREMELY pleased with the look that I`m getting. I`ll bust out Souveran for special occasions as it`s my favorite.

imported_Denzil
04-01-2007, 11:58 PM
I normally do UPP then top with OCW on about everything as of late.

I should really use my other products, LoL.

Envious Eric
04-02-2007, 04:04 AM
either 21 topped with OCW or EX are what I use on the light color cars