PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Clear Coat Cracked and Peeling

Fishpimp
05-11-2005, 10:11 AM
How would you guys recommend addressing this problem on a clear coated polished rim. It is on a Customers truck and it is really bad on one rim. The other rims are fine.

I was thinking maybe to scrubbing it with some stealwool 00 and then going to 0000 and finishing with 2000 grit sandpaper. I guess my goal is not to redo the entire wheel but to even it out so it can be returned in an acceptable manner.

I love the feeling of accomplishment when you step back and admire your work. When I look at this rim I realize that I won`t get that feeling unless I address the issue.

CharlesW
05-11-2005, 10:22 AM
While you can probably make a big improvement, it most likely won`t be a permanent fix. If the clear has started to peel, it won`t stop.
When this happened to the aftermarket wheels on an Astro van I used to have, I ended up having them stripped and polished.
It wasn`t cheap and I would use that money to buy a replacement wheel or wheels if it happened again.

Any chance the truck is still within the 36 month bumper to bumper warranty period?

Charles

Way2SSlow
05-11-2005, 10:53 AM
When this happened to the aftermarket wheels on an Astro van I used to have, I ended up having them stripped and polished.
Charles

I wouldn`t advise doing that yourself. I tried to do that to my factory 17`s on my SS and it is way too much work. I ended up just painting them, and they dont look so hot now.

Fishpimp
05-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Thanks guys. Way2Slow fellow Impala owner. Are you a member of ISSACA pretty sure your on the site alot because of the Zaino. They swear by Zaino on that site. hahhahahaa

How about the flitz ball or the Meguire polishing ball?

Fishpimp
05-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Any chance the truck is still within the 36 month bumper to bumper warranty period?

Charles
The truck is a 1998 mountaineer... Good condition but the wheel depresses me

crobinso
05-11-2005, 12:00 PM
I could not resist commenting on the handle "FishPimp"! Please, you MUST tell me how you came upon that name!

Thanks,
Charles

(with visions of prostitute fish swimming in a pond, seducing male fish with their uh, tailfins)

WindSwords
05-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Charles is right. Don`t waste your time. You can`t repair a wheel when the clearcoat is peeling.

As an alternative you can buy a replacement from these guys:

http://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com/aaarims.shtml

From their website:
AAA Rims, Inc. was started in May of 1998 with the goal to provide the regular retail customer with refinished factory aluminum wheels at a great price. These wheels were, at that time, only really being sold into dealerships and body shops. Our goal was to bring the extreme cost savings of these wheels to the end user, and to do this via the internet.

I once bought a set of factory wheels for my convertible from them. Great service and price. Now they sell aftermarket wheels as well.

Frank

Fishpimp
05-12-2005, 01:35 PM
I could not resist commenting on the handle "FishPimp"! Please, you MUST tell me how you came upon that name!

Well I came up with that name because I had a couple Fresh and Sal````er tanks and it was my handle for the different Aquarium sites that I was a member of. You know registering a Unique name can be difficult at times. Now I use fishpimp for most sites Except the Impala forum. Just simplifies my life. hahahaha

Way2SSlow
05-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Thanks guys. Way2Slow fellow Impala owner. Are you a member of ISSACA pretty sure your on the site alot because of the Zaino. They swear by Zaino on that site. hahhahahaa

How about the flitz ball or the Meguire polishing ball?

Yeah. I`ve been on the SS forum for years. My member number is like 637 and there are a TON of members over there. That was the first forum that I ever joined. They are Zaino crazy over there...although, I will say that I have ordered from the "vendor of choice" there, and I can only say good things about him. When I get a new set of wheels, I`ll be attempting to strip and polish the ones that I painted, and mounting up some Drag radials on them. I`ll definitely pick up the flitz ball, because you can pick up Flitz locally (at the gun shop :D). There are a ton of good threads on the SS forum and on the NAISSO forums about polishing wheels. Search the Naisso forum for a post by pernox about polishing the wheels out. He put a ton of labor hours into his, but the finished pics will drop your jaw. Good luck,

Wade