PDA

View Full Version : Went detail crazy and bought a bunch of stuff (questions)

porscheC4S
03-31-2007, 03:29 PM
After months of research and reading through posts, I finally made a list of all the items I needed to properly detail my car. Here is a list along with some follow-up questions

Zymol Glasur Wax

Zymol Leather Treat

Zymol Leather Cleaner

Zymol HD Cleanse

Zymol Vinyl Conditioner

Zymol Seal

Menzerna IP

Menzerna FP II

Pinnacle Clay Bar Kit

Poor Boy`s Tire Dressing

Stoner Glass Cleaner

P21S TAW

ONR

Klasse AIO

Rejex

Schmitt Yellow and Black Mitts

Metro-Vac Vacuum

Various Tire brushes from OXO/Meguiars

Meguiars Wheel Brightener

P21S Wheel Gel

Cobra MF Towels and Applicators

Edge 2K 6" Pad Kit

The only thing left is to pick up my PC which I plan on doing this weekend. Here is my plan of action:

1) Wash the car with P21S (2 buckets)

- Wash wheels first using Megs Wheel Brightener

2) Clay

3) Menzerna IP (pad?)

4) Menzerna FPII (pad?)

5) ONR wash

6) HD cleanse by hand with MF applicator

7) Zymol Glasur by Hand (how many coats?)

8) Klasse AIO on wheels by hand

9) Rejex on Wheels

Here are the questions:

1) I have 16oz bottles of Menzerna IP and FPII. Is this enough to do my car with?

2) Which pads should I use for the IP and FPII?

3) How many coats of Glasur should I apply and how long should I wait in between coats?

4) Should I use a glaze (RMG?) in between the HD cleanse and Glasur?

5) I always have trouble applying the vinyl conditioner on the dashboard where it meets the window. It seems I always get conditioner on the window. Then when I try to clean the window, I get window cleaner on my dash. And round it goes. Any tips for this?

Thanks for the help!

imported_themightytimmah
03-31-2007, 03:45 PM
1. It should be plenty - I`ve done 10 cars with my 16oz bottle of BF SRC FP (similar to FPII) and there`s still some left. Use only 3 pea-sized dots per half panel (half a door, 1/4 of a hood).

2. I`m not an edge expert but I *think* you want to use orange or green for IP and white for FPII.

3. As many as you want, waiting 24 hours in between coats. I`d apply a coat at every wash until I stopped seeing an improvement.

4. I wouldn`t reccomend it - Zymol says to use Glasur only over HD-Cleanse. This might be marketing BS but I couldn`t tell you for sure.

5. Put conditioner on a MF towel. You`ll probably get some on the glass. Wipe glass with a damp mf towel (just distilled water). Wipe glass again with a dry mf towel. Enjoy :).

Also, I`d skip the ONR wash after FPII. If you have a problem with dusting, just blow the cracks down with compressed air before HD-cleanse.

Accumulator
03-31-2007, 04:50 PM
porscheC4S- themightytimmah pretty much covered it (and I don`t know from how the Edge pads are graded either).

For the windshield/dash issue, I clean the dash, then clean the winshield (wiping off anything that gets on the dash in the process). Then I use a piece of thin carboard (a clean piece, preferably coated...like the ones that come with my wife`s pantyhose) as a barrier. I hold it against the windshield and any excess dash dressing gets on the cardboard not the glass. Works great as long as the cardboard is nice and clean, so I keep several handy and switch to a new one as needed. By folding the cardboard to provide a "handle" I can hold onto it without my potentially greasy hands touching the glass. Depending on the car (forget how my C4 was in this regard) the cardboard might slip between the windshield surround and the top of the dash, that can make it easy to position but you gotta be careful when you pull it out or you`ll get some dressing on the windshield just when you think you`re finished.

Oh, FWIW I would`t bother with the ONR wash between the FPII and the HD Cleanse. The FPII oughta be wiped off while still slightly wet and I`d just make sure you get all the polish residue off and go right to the HD Cleanse. I`d be more worried about something happening during that extra wash than I would be about anything from the FPII being left over.