PDA

View Full Version : I am a noob & I need advice *****

koolmoecraig
03-31-2007, 02:02 AM
OK.

SO I bought a bunch of stuff and this is what I have to do my job. Tell me if I`m on the right track or doing anything that isn`t required. I have a 1996 Miata with about 7000 miles. Paint is about a 9 on a scale of 1-10.

1. Wash

2. Sonus Clay bar

3. Griots Fine Hand Polish

4. Klasse AIO

5. 2 coats of Klasse Sealant Glaze

6. 1 coat of PS21 carauba wax

Good? Any advice would be most welcome!

danforz
03-31-2007, 02:07 AM
Sounds like a fine plan to me. Remember though, that the devil is in the details. Are you using a two bucket wash method? As for the Klasse Twins... Apply AIO and SG (especially SG) thin and even. Remember that both these items can be used on trim, and AIO works great on windows as well (Just make sure to thoroughly rub it off). Apply the 2 coats of SG on separate days, and same goes for the wax. I would personally recommend putting on more then one layer of wax, but thats up to you. You have solid products in your arsenal, and if you`ve done your reading you will be very happy with the results. And of course, you`d better post pictures :)

Almost forgot, I don`t know much about the Griots fine hand polish, so I`ll let someone else chime in on that.

koolmoecraig
03-31-2007, 02:19 AM
God bless the internet. Drunk off my as* at Midnight on a Friday and I can get feedback on my car detailing project! How did we live without this!?

I don`t use the two bucket method, I rinse my wash mitt with the hose after every section.

Here is my car BEFORE my attempt:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2349126

Accumulator
03-31-2007, 12:06 PM
koolmoecraig- Welcome to Autopia!

The Sonus *gray* clay will quite probably mar your paint too severely for the Griot`s hand polish to correct. The Sonus *green* shouldn`t do that but might be too gentle, you`ll just have to see.

I`d be surprised if the Griot`s hand polish did much of anything permanently beneficial if used before the Klasse. It`s mainly fillers in my experience and the AIO will simply clean those off.

koolmoecraig
03-31-2007, 12:55 PM
I have the green Sonus clay. I also have the yellow clay from Griots.

Thoughts on either?

Forget the Griots hand polish?

58fury
03-31-2007, 01:00 PM
Welcome!, Good products you`ve got there, i love Klasse Twins, ditto for the thin application w SG, i found that letting the SG haze for a while made removal a hole lot easier for myself anyways, as for the AIO i more or less applied and buffed right away. RE the Clay i currently use 3M cLeaner clay, and love it! not sure about the other clays, just make sure you have lots of QD on hand, and rinse each section after you clay, good luck and post pics when your done.

superstring
03-31-2007, 01:01 PM
Accumulator`s right about the Griot`s Hand Polish. It does a pretty good job of hiding things, but AIO will just remove it. You could go directly to the P21s over the GHP and skip the AIO/SG or skip the GHP if you`re stuck on using AIO/SG.

Your car looks great in the pics. 7000 miles on a 96, WOW!! Are there swirls/cobwebbing etc. you`re trying to remove/hide?

Accumulator
03-31-2007, 01:27 PM
I have the green Sonus clay. I also have the yellow clay from Griots.

Thoughts on either?

Glad to hear you have the *green* Sonus clay :xyxthumbs

I used Griot`s clay for a long time before switching to the Sonus. It`s a bit more aggressive/effective than the Sonus green, even when you use SpeedShine for the lube (which can lube it *too* much IMO). If the Sonus green proves too mild then just use the Griot`s.

The Sonus is especially good for cleaning the wax/sealant; used gentlyit won`t remove said LSP (Last Step Product) but will only clean stuff *off* of it. You might want to reserve the green clay for that.

What superstring said about the Griot`s hand polish/Klasse/P21s. The big "if" here is if you have any marring (scratches/swirls/etc.) that needs removed. The Klasse will allow *all* such imperfections to show in a big way so if they`re present you oughta remove them or use the Hand Polish/wax approach instead (of the Klasse approach).

itb76
03-31-2007, 10:04 PM
That`s crazy low mileage for a car that old!! Have fun, and do post your after pics!

imported_Denzil
04-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Good luck with that! Be sure to post your results!