PDA

View Full Version : Product Placement while detailing

Tnwagn
03-30-2007, 01:01 PM
Not exactly the best title, but as close as I could get to the point.

I`ve worked on my car a few times now and have found that the hardest part for me is keeping up with all of my supplies while doing the detail. Like while I`m washing, the mitt that I`m not using I just lay on a plastic bag near the car. Not too big of a deal, but then when it comes to drying and other steps it gets even worse. Because I`m working outside, I can`t put anything directly on the ground and it`s hard to keep all of my towels and such in my hands. So far I`ve resorted to just putting everything in or on plastic bags. Still, this is very frustrating to me. Can anyone offer suggestions on how to keep up with all of your detailing materials while working :think:

Diesel1
03-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Hit up Target or another discounter for rubbermaid bins. In Target they have aisles, all different sizes. I have small ones for pads, larger flatter ones for MF`s...see which sizes best suit your needs (Deeper ones for bottles, etc) and get a couple. They work really well and help keep everything in one spot. A good idea is to pick up an extra one to put dirty MF`s in, but a plastic bag will do the same thing.

imported_Denzil
03-30-2007, 02:14 PM
My sheepskin mitts either sit in the wash solution or are hung on the side of the bucket. As for my MF`s, they usually sit in a Rubbermaid container and I don`t pull them out until they`re ready to be used. I also use the top of that container to set stuff on top of it and what not.

Changeling
03-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Not exactly the best title, but as close as I could get to the point.

I`ve worked on my car a few times now and have found that the hardest part for me is keeping up with all of my supplies while doing the detail. Like while I`m washing, the mitt that I`m not using I just lay on a plastic bag near the car. Not too big of a deal, but then when it comes to drying and other steps it gets even worse. Because I`m working outside, I can`t put anything directly on the ground and it`s hard to keep all of my towels and such in my hands. So far I`ve resorted to just putting everything in or on plastic bags. Still, this is very frustrating to me. Can anyone offer suggestions on how to keep up with all of your detailing materials while working :think:

This is a very good question!! I have given some thought to it myself, mainly because some of the people I am helping ( get asked it by some really young detailers who want to do it right), but have to work outside. If I read you right it is where do I put stuff while I am detailing a vehicle.

SAMS warehouse and COSCO also, I think, sell these tables that you can break down something like one of those TV dinner type tables people use to eat and watch TV, but bigger like a picnic table. You can put them up and break them down fairly fast! I believe they are made of metal with fiberglass table but you would have to look. They are inexpensive, check them out.

This would give you the center to hold products and become your "Base" so to speak so things didn`t fall on the ground or become "Strays". This is very important in organizing your tools and approach to the problem of detailing the vehicle without worrying where everything is!

I surely hope this helps, Changeling

Tnwagn
03-30-2007, 06:02 PM
The collapsing table sounds like a great idea. I have one, I`ve just never thought to take it out and use it :wall The storage bins are also something that probably everyone needs, I`ve just had no reason to get any up till now (fairly small amount of products) Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming :D

RTexasF
03-30-2007, 06:49 PM
I bought a rolling two tier table from Pep Boys for $35. Give them a look over next time you go by there.

see_otter
03-31-2007, 07:56 AM
My system:

(2) 5 gallon buckets with sealed lids

(4) huge husky tool bags

= 1 bag for wash supplies ShMITTS, pre-dosed ONR, pre-dosed conventional soap, clay, waffle weaves, wheel and misc brushes (inside a container in the bag), QD, wheels cleaners, plastic blades etc.

= 1 interior bag. Spotter kit, interior brushes, cyclo brushes, steamer attachments, vac attachments, interior dressings glass cleaner, magic erasers, applicators etc.

= 1 polish bag. Cyclo, PC, sometimes a rotary. My entire line of polishes,glazes and waxes in travel size containers

= 1 bag for any random stuff I think a certain job might require. Sometimes just more towels etc.

all products are transfered in portable containers for maximum portability. I used to get scared I would run out of certain things, but I got it pretty much nailed how much to carry now.

- I use the wash buckets after washing to throw dirty towels in. Greasy grimey in one, polishing/QD/wax towels in another

Don`t get me wrong I still have a steamer, Rigid vac, and extractor to haul, but the toolbag method works best for me for everything else. I usually have everything at my fingertips that I might need at the time in the designated bag. When I am done with Washing/ polishing/interior, I put that bag away and forget about it. More organized, less mess!

Jeremy

Accumulator
03-31-2007, 12:16 PM
My towels stay in their containers (Rubbermaid trash cans) until I need them, as do my other mitts.

One little thing I find very handy is to put a blob of clay (Sonus green) on the top of the lube bottle and hook it (by its trigger) over the wash bucket. That way I always have it handy if I notice some contamination that doesn`t wash off gently.

Back when I was using my shampoo as lube, I`d stick it to the wash bucket or to the spring clip that I use to differentiate between the wash/rinse buckets.

3Dog
03-31-2007, 07:19 PM
IMO when you are not washing with your mitt it should be in your rinse bucket.

We use a plastic three level cart that holds all washing and drying supplies plus the vac is mounted to on end. It moves around the car as necessary.

budman3
03-31-2007, 07:52 PM
I was surfing around Autogeek today and saw this nice little detail cart. A little pricey but may be worth it :)

Store detailing supplies, car waxes, polishes, towels, and wash bucket on the Rhino Auto Detail cart. (http://autogeek.net/detailing-supplies-cart.html)

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/rhino.jpg

imported_Denzil
04-01-2007, 11:16 PM
Interesting design on that cart.

kleraudio
04-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Change, thats an amazing idea.

now just gotta explain to the fiance why i need more detailing supplies! :nervous:

haha

Jim

SVR
04-02-2007, 04:36 AM
All my towels, mitts and pads are in big aussie made plastic tubs.

The six to ten mitts go in a clean bucket and when I`m drying in the garage, all the dry waffle weave`s are in their own clean tub. I also have two big dividers that I use like a hanger for the dirty towels

My only trouble is when polishing, I need to put all of them and pads on top of the tubs and haven`t thought what to use to keep them with me as I go around a car

BlueLibby04
04-02-2007, 01:01 PM
I just lay all my MF`s and Water magnets inside my jeep on the seats untill I need them.. Much easier than buying some cart or a bunch of plastic bins. When Im not using them, they go in my Meguiars Organizer inside the house. :xyxthumbs

Monte78Carlo2k1
04-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Change, thats an amazing idea.

now just gotta explain to the fiance why i need more detailing supplies! :nervous:

haha

Jim

Efficiency and stress, with that tool it will increase and decrease respectively.:chuckle: