PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about going 100% Meguiar`s

Pages : [1] 2

toxin440
03-30-2007, 12:44 PM
So for about the last year I`ve been a "Zaino" man. I havent gone balls to the wall crazy but I love Z7, Z6, and the polishes.

I realize they are quite expensive but in the whole scheme of things its not that bad. Like most people here I like experimenting with washes, waxes, and cleaners. I`ve been thinking about going to something a bit more common and available such as Meguiars full line of products.

What would your thoughts on this be? I`m so tempted to go to autozone and stock up on all the goodies that Meguire`s has to offer. (from what ive read - i should stay away from turtle wax ice and all the other "ice" **** because while its good it doenst last for crap.

Thoughts, suggestions? Oh yes its on my Brilliant black RX8 (pics will come soon)

Accumulator
03-30-2007, 12:54 PM
toxin440- Welcome to Autopia!

The Meg`s approach is very different from the Zaino one...I dunno...while some meguiar`s products are OK and others are even better, I`m just not a big fan of their stuff overall. But for everyone who feels the way I do there`s somebody who thinks it`s the best so :nixweiss

Heh heh, the Meguiars stuff I see in autoparts store is usually *not* among their better offerings either ;) If you want to try Meguiar`s stuff I`d research it and then go shopping at an autobody/paint supply place where they`ll have the Pro line.

What is it you don`t like about the Zaino? Now that there are abrasive products in the Zaino line I`d think they have everything pretty well covered except for more aggressive polishes and compounds.

BlueZero
03-30-2007, 01:01 PM
I use about 90% Meguiar`s products. It`s not that I don`t try other brands and products. I just stick with what works good and what is most cost effective. Check out the Meguiar`s forums if you want to learn about their products. One reason I like Meguiar`s is that my local body shop store carries the full professional line. Plus they have a product for almost everything. If I was you I wouldn`t comment myself to one brand.

BMW335i
03-30-2007, 01:03 PM
I love Meguiars...while I wouldn`t use their mitts, (the chenille one especially), I always find myself coming back to them (probably cause they are so widely available).

BlueZero
03-30-2007, 01:11 PM
I love Meguiars...while I wouldn`t use their mitts, (the chenille one especially), I always find myself coming back to them (probably cause they are so widely available).

Why not the chenille ones? The reason I ask is I just bought a bunch of them but haven`t tried them out yet.

imported_GregCavi
03-30-2007, 01:17 PM
If you are a die hard zaino user and love using the zaino product, I have to be honest is saying, you will probably be disappointed in the meguairs. I used to use a lot of the meguiars products but found there polishes to contain to many fillers and there lsp`s to lack durability. This is just IMHO of course.

Greg

imported_rydawg
03-30-2007, 01:24 PM
I use to use megs many years ago and I had ok results. But most of there pro stuff was not user friendly and I just did not see that "WOW" factor at all. Plus the end results was not all that durable to me. It`s not that I hate there stuff, I just don`t see max results like I do with other products.

If you already use Zaino, then I would use there ZPC abrasive cleaner. I like the micro diminishing abrasives in it and it finishes out excellent and very clear. It leaves a very brilliant finish ready for z5pro. There ZAIO is another great cleaner as well. There are a lot of options out there as well.

Do you have a pc or rotory? How are the surface scratches on the car?

BMW335i
03-30-2007, 01:30 PM
Why not the chenille ones? The reason I ask is I just bought a bunch of them but haven`t tried them out yet.

Because, in my experience, they shed like crazy all over my driveway and is very difficult to remove. The nap is also somewhat sparse, and you can see the backing.

BlackElantraGT
03-30-2007, 01:52 PM
I`ve never used Zaino, but I would imagine that you`d be disappointed by stepping down to Meguiar`s. I bought (and currently trying to use up) a lot of their pro and detailer line of products and most of their products are JUST OK, but nothing to brag about. IMO, there are better choices out there for most of their products. If I had to have one Meg`s product, it would be APC+.

Mayur
03-30-2007, 01:56 PM
there lsp`s to lack durability. This is just IMHO of course.

Greg

Synthetic Sealant has awesome durability!

I use all the Meguiar`s products I can except wash mitts. I prefer the ShMITT.

imported_Denzil
03-30-2007, 02:10 PM
While the Meguiar`s product line is decent, you`d be really hurting yourself if you stuck solely with them. There are many products out there that can do a better job than the Meguiar`s product line alone. Keep that in mind and feel free to experiment with other brands. :bounce

Pennypacker
03-30-2007, 04:07 PM
Some interesting responses. I don`t know about that many Meg`s products, having only used their soaps and various QD`s. I was thinking of doing something similar to toxin440 though only because so many Meg`s products get discussed here, most of which I have absolutely no familiarity with. It would be more out of curiosity than anything, to see how they compare, etc. Kinda curious about DACP since it seems to be a love it or hate it sort of product. Then again, maybe it`s better to take an "if it ain`t broke, don`t fix it" approach. :) :nixweiss

Strokin04
03-30-2007, 04:30 PM
I feel Meguiars products are good for someone who does high volume detailing work for a living. But, if it is for personal use I feel there are so many products out there that have better durability and apperance over Meguiar`s (like Optimum, Werkstatt, and Zaino). Mike...

steck
03-30-2007, 05:27 PM
i dont go too crazy over the latest and greatest boutique brands...

i never got into the `poorboys` craze, or the VM (clearkote) craze,, nor the Zaino trend either....

i stick with what i get locally, and what i have experience in....and thats Meg`s.

i work with the professional 80 series line and for the $$ its hard to beat.

my goto system w/ rotary is #85, to #80, to #26. nice and simple and hard to beat.

but i do understand that half the fun of this hobby/profession is collecting product, and comparisons!!

steck
03-30-2007, 05:29 PM
i dont go too crazy over the latest and greatest boutique brands...

i never got into the `poorboys` craze, or the VM (clearkote) craze,, nor the Zaino trend either....

i stick with what i get locally, and what i have experience in....and thats Meg`s.

i work with the professional 80 series line and for the $$ its hard to beat.

my goto system w/ rotary is #85, to #80, to #26. nice and simple and hard to beat.

but i do understand that half the fun of this hobby/profession is collecting product, and comparisons!!

wooops, i did fall into the `menzerna` craze a couple years ago,, when that`s all you heard about around here... and i bought some FTG,, which is still sitting 95% full on my bench:bolt