PDA

View Full Version : Wax and grease remover instead of Dawn ?

steve_bris
03-30-2007, 05:42 AM
I am wondering if I can just use a wax and grease remover instead of doing the dawn wash to start my detailing process before claying....... I just bought the car and have no idea what it has layered on it.

Can it harm the paint, or is there any other reason not to use it to get a good clean start to the process?

Thanks

tom p.
03-30-2007, 05:47 AM
Griot`s and FK1 have targeted products. You can also use an APC or a 50/50 mix of IPA and water.

imported_Gears
03-30-2007, 05:53 AM
Unless I was familiar with this product I would not use it. Some degreasers are very strong and not something I would use.

Why not just wash and use clay. That will remove anything that is on the car now.

Nice and safe. Nothing to be gained by using grease remover, you will have to clay anyway.

BobD
03-30-2007, 06:50 AM
Try P21S Total Body Wash.

Accumulator
03-30-2007, 12:27 PM
I use: Dawn, P21S TAW, and AutoInt`s "A" (listed least-to-most effective).

David Fermani
03-30-2007, 05:59 PM
I never would have thought you to use Dawn Accumulator? :shocked

imported_Nimble
03-30-2007, 08:05 PM
I use Dawn, screw it, it`s just a wash once in a while. Everyone`s so "touchy" here about it. News flash, your paint will chip, fade, and all your trim will fade and crack if you wash with Dawn!!!!! AHHH!!! :tribe:

Accumulator
03-31-2007, 11:31 AM
I never would have thought you to use Dawn Accumulator? :shocked

Sure, on vehicles I don`t care about...and that "not caring" is a matter of Dawn`s lousy lubricity, not anything else. I subscribe to the belief that Dawn and most auto shampoos aren`t all *that* different...check the ingredients in Dawn. Anyhow, Dawn`s milder than AutoInt`s "A" by a country mile and nobody :nono me for using that stuff ;)

Heh heh, with Griot`s Car Wash going for $40/gallon + ship (and "A" costing a bit too) I`m not gonna use it on service loaners/rental cars that I`m gonna do heavy correction on anyway. I just use a strong mix of Dawn and let the paint get a little more marred. It`s cheap and effective and I always have a lot of it around the house anyhow.