PDA

View Full Version : Layer JW Prime ?

steve_bris
03-30-2007, 04:55 AM
Hi,

I am going to apply the Jeff Werkstatt system for the first time this weekend to my silver AMG.

Going to Wash, Clay, Wash, ZPC any imperfections, Wash, JW Prime, Acrylic Jett topped with Acrylic Jet Trigger.

Question is ..... will doing a couple of layers of Prime reap better results than a single layer.... like layering Z5 before Z2.

Also with Zaino you use Z6 between coats ....... with JW do you use Quick gloss between coats ?

Thanks for any help

Steve

imported_smprince1
03-30-2007, 05:50 AM
I think multiple applications of something like Prime will help to assure even coverage ... i.e. the second application might get something the first didn`t. IMO, it doesn`t "layer".

I`ve applied multiple coats of AJ and AJT without anything in between. I just waited about 30 minutes between applications.

Bigpoppa3346
03-30-2007, 07:49 AM
No, it would be pretty much pointless. It would just remove itself, and won`t look any better with multiple applications.

SilverSeven
03-30-2007, 08:01 AM
If u are layering Acrylic Jett & AJ Trigger then it`s ok. But Prime Acrylic has cleaners & it would be best if u just use it as a base coat. I don`t use Acrylic Gloss btwn AJ coats. I just layer it after one another. U need not wait to layer Acrylic Jett & AJ Trigger. U can go straight into it. U need to apply AJ very thin or else it`s difficult to wipe off. It u have problems wiping it off, use a slight damp MF to wipe it off. It dries very fast. Best to follow its instruction to do a panel at a time. :) Hope it helps. TQ.

RRnTexas
03-30-2007, 12:22 PM
I asked the same question:

Gentlemen,

Have a new car, Acura MDX, Nimbus Grey Metallic. Purchased Prime Acrylic, Acrylic Jet: Trigger and Acrylic Glos. I hope to detail my new car in a week or so and have a few questions:

1) How long should Prime Acrylic dry (cure) before putting on Acrylic Jet: Trigger? On the web site it says to wait 30 minutes before buffing off. Is it OK to add Trigger then or would it be best to wait a while?

2) Is there any benefit to adding a second coat of prime prior to applying Acrylic Jet: trigger?

3) After applying Trigger, how long should I wait to add a second coat of Trigger?

Thanks!

Here is the reply:

Thank you for contacting the Werkstatt with your product questions. Congratulations on the new Acura.

1. The standard 30 minute wait time is perfectly sufficient before applying Trigger over Prime Acrylic. The vast majority of the curing of the polymers in Prime occurs within this time frame. You can add Trigger right after buffing or wait... there will be no real difference in the result. As a tip, if you apply Prime Acrylic in the optimal very thin coating, such that there is fairly little residue, you can save a step by just applying Trigger without first buffing the Prime. The action of Trigger application will clean off any of the Prime residue.

2. The primary benefit of a 2nd coat of Prime is just to ensure complete coverage, with no missed spots. It is not able to layer itself due to the cleaning and polishing action. There may be some benefit of a 2nd coat particularly in areas where the paint may be more contaminated, like around wheel wheels or side skirts.... simply to ensure everything is perfectly clean.

3. Like Prime, the polymers in Trigger cure quite rapidly. For best results, we recommend about a half hour to one hour between coats, if possible. That said, it is possible to layer even sooner; Trigger is a very gentle formula and doesn`t readily disturb base layers, even ones that haven`t completely cured. For best results, the whole system should be allowed to cure for a full 24 hours before exposure to things like detergents... this allows for the last, small percentage of polymers to crosslink.

Hopefully this has answered your questions. If you have any others or need clarificatioon, please do not hesitate to email again or reply to this message.

Happy Detailing!

Werkstatt Product Development

Hope this is helpful ...

RR

NTOXIK8N DETAIL
03-30-2007, 03:47 PM
I have been pondering using werkstatt myself, thanx for that write up!

Scottwax
03-30-2007, 10:50 PM
I tell ya, Jeff does a great job helping us use his products properly. :)

steve_bris
03-31-2007, 11:39 PM
Grrr .. I let it dry for to long and it is now ssssssssssssssoooooooooooooooooo hard to remove ... can I use a QD or something to help get rid of it ?

Gonna use trigger from now on :)

SilverSeven
04-01-2007, 12:12 AM
Hi steve, if u left it a long time to haze, its almost impossible to wipe off. Guess maybe this shows how hard the protection is tho...?? Hehehe. I use a slightly damp MF cloth to wipe it off.

I usually apply thick coat of JWAJ coz I just can`t see where I`ve applied on my silver color car. Quite hard & my car porch is quite dim even if its a sunny day, even I switch on the lights if wouldn`t help much. Thats why I need to apply a bit thick till I can see some residue. I leave it to haze, after the second panel, I`ll remove the 1st panel that I`ve applied AJ too. It would be impossible to remove without me using a slightly damp MF cloth. Hope it helps u.... TQ. :)