PDA

View Full Version : polishing in direct sunlight question

nonsensez9
03-30-2007, 01:26 AM
Most every product I have says soemthing to the effect to avoid using in direct sunlight. Is that because of the heat, or are the products photosensitive? The reason I ask is that it is going to be about 45 degrees F when I polish this weekend. I`d like to get an early start, which means I won`t be in the shade for the first couple hours.

Roger V
03-30-2007, 01:35 AM
Most every product I have says soemthing to the effect to avoid using in direct sunlight. Is that because of the heat, or are the products photosensitive? The reason I ask is that it is going to be about 45 degrees F when I polish this weekend. I`d like to get an early start, which means I won`t be in the shade for the first couple hours.

The problem is some products dry up before they fully break down. Optimum is good for the sun, but if you can get some shade; do it.

imported_Denzil
03-30-2007, 02:05 AM
Poorboy`s SSR`s are sun-friendly just in case you weren`t already aware.

Changeling
03-30-2007, 02:52 PM
If the problem is drying, why can`t you just "Spritz" the area with some water while you are polishing? Aren`t most polishes just designed to break down smaller and smaller?

How could you possibly hurt a finish by "spritzing" to keep it wet and break down as long as you want or the pad becomes inefective. Please explain!

Confusing.

Changeling

JasonD
03-30-2007, 02:56 PM
If you start spraying water on your paint while polishing, you will eventually find yourself dealing with a big cake like mess. Polishes can tolerate a tiny bit of water, but once your towel/buffing pad gets damp, its all over.

The biggest problem here is the heat. If the surface you are working on is cool to the touch, you are fine. If you don`t have a covered area to work in, just try to do it early in the morning or in the later afternoon/evening instead of midday.

imported_Tex Star Detail
03-30-2007, 02:57 PM
If the problem is drying, why can`t you just "Spritz" the area with some water while you are polishing? Aren`t most polishes just designed to break down smaller and smaller?

How could you possibly hurt a finish by "spritzing" to keep it wet and break down as long as you want or the pad becomes inefective. Please explain!

Confusing.

Changeling

About 90% of the time in the summer, I will squirt QD on the panel I am polishing. Never had a problem with polishes or junk building up on the pad or panel. As long as you do not soak the panel, you will be fine.

This Texas sun is a PIA...........

nonsensez9
03-30-2007, 08:43 PM
The biggest problem here is the heat. If the surface you are working on is cool to the touch, you are fine. If you don`t have a covered area to work in, just try to do it early in the morning or in the later afternoon/evening instead of midday.

cool! that`s the information I`m looking for. thanks for your help :)

JasonD
03-30-2007, 09:03 PM
cool! that`s the information I`m looking for. thanks for your help :)

:bigups ;)

Whitethunder46
03-30-2007, 09:29 PM
I used XMT#3 the other day in direct sunlight in 70*`s. It worked flawlessly and very quickly. I did the entire hood in 5 min. with a PC, that`s pretty good.

Deviant
03-30-2007, 09:34 PM
I usually mix some OP into a polish that usually dusts quite a bit if I`m working outdoors in the sun (which I prefer, easier to see the defects) Does a fairly decent job of keeping the dusting at a minimum. Changes the way the polish works slightly though