PDA

View Full Version : Detail Timing

Pages : [1] 2

Mayur
03-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Im looking through the click and brag forum and alot of details are done in like 5-6 hours. How is this possible? Today I spent 12 hours on a double cab silverado, granted its a bigger car but double the time? Also I didnt even clean the windows. This was also only exterior work.

thesacrifice
03-29-2007, 09:28 PM
You`ll get faster, I promise.

Bigpoppa3346
03-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Yeah, it sure does take a while. I have worked on jobs for 10 hours on just the paint. Some things that I find help are:

Caffeine

ONR

Claying while washing if the car isn`t too heavily contaminated

Use less polish-less polish equals less working time, while the defects are still removed

Just general moving faster ie. faster claying, faster waxing, stuff like that. Just make sure you don`t sacrifice quality for quantity.

P.S. The caffeine really does work on those extra long jobs

Mayur
03-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Phew so Im not the only one. I was getting angry at myself because I tried to speed up a little but it still took a long time. I also had someone help me for an hour or two so technically its like 14 man hours :(

imported_Denzil
03-30-2007, 02:21 AM
Eh don`t worry about it. We all started at the beginning. Just be patient and detail as many cars as you can and you`ll notice ways to cut some time without sacrificing quality work.

ttsoca
03-30-2007, 02:32 AM
I know the feeling im working on a car know that i will have till sunday, and i don`t know how i would finsh it if i had to do it one day i must have spent 6-7 hours on it and im only half way done with the outside.

Macruz19
03-30-2007, 06:31 AM
As you get used to detailing your cars, you`ll find a pattern what to do first which will make your job more easier.

As for me, I`m getting used to using the PC, so it`s taking a lot of my evening times.

imported_JoshVette
03-30-2007, 06:35 AM
What exactly are you doing to the car?? I`ve spent as little as 2 hours and as long as 9 hours detailing.

Depends on what you`re doing, for me a simple wash, wax and inteior job takes about 1 1/2 hours and a full blow swirl removal may take 9-10 hours depending on the vehicle.

BobD
03-30-2007, 06:49 AM
You just have to learn to work smarter and faster is all.

LeadingEdgeDetail
03-30-2007, 09:21 AM
I remember the days of spending 8 to 9 hours on a detail... Now I`ve gotten that down to 3 to 5 hours.

The biggest difference for me is having more buffing pads.. And I still don`t have enough. I got like 6 of each cutting pad, and 4 polishing pads (6.5" and 4")... If you ever have to stop and clean your pads, thats a TON of time. As well, pads get gummed up and work less effectively every time you use it.

Paint Correction with cutting pads, and then Poli-Seal on a polishing pad... Perfect finish, 2-step process, and no need to wax!

Mayur
03-30-2007, 09:56 AM
I did swirl removal. Swirls everywhere. Took me 13 hours for everything exterior wise and I didnt get to polish up the chrome trim and I didnt clean the windows. That obiovusly wouldnt have taken long but still. Im still getting used to the PC myself so I guess I just need more practice.

klnyc
03-30-2007, 10:02 AM
I spent like 5 hrs on the Tahoe or any big SUV(fair condition)...I just hated doing the roof lining(my weakest link).

As for 2-4 doors cars...I avg like 3-4 hrs.

Scottwax
03-30-2007, 10:32 AM
It is just a matter of developing a rountine. Then again, really bad paint is going to take anyone a long time, especially on a larger vehicle.

Lone_Star
03-30-2007, 10:43 AM
I feel ya. It took me 8 hours to do a little mustang! First time detailing though. I know, no excuse. As Danse said, work smarter and faster not harder.

Accumulator
03-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Some people just take longer than others :nixweiss

I`ve been doing this stuff for a few decades and (when it won`t compromise my results) I move *fast* but it still takes me a long time to do stuff. Even with the rotary it just never goes all that fast for me. It takes as long as it takes *you* to do it.