PDA

View Full Version : Fein Polisher

jmsc
03-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Haven`t bot a rotary yet but am leaning toward Metabo.

The more popular brands are:

DeWalt 849 ~ $160

Hitachi SP18VA ~ $160

Makita 9227 ~ $170

Metabo PE12-175 ~ $230

Fein WPO 12-27E ~ $375

If money were an object I would choose Hitachi.

If money were no object why would you choose a German-Made Fein?

cobrar97
03-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Why would you buy the Fein if money were no object? Don`t get caught up in "more expensive is better".

ZoranC
03-28-2007, 10:47 PM
If money were no object why would you choose a German-Made Fein?

If money were no object I would not be neccessarily choosing Fein. I would be weighing between Fein and Metabo. It is all about how tool fits you and what you are doing. I would try to get them in hand and work with them a while to see which one suits me more (if clean winner can be decided). I like "nose" Metabo has, I hold it there. On the other side Fein doesn`t have that. But Fein seems to be shorter. However design seems to be pushing it away from surface (some like that, some don`t). I have never had Fein in my hands, so it would be personally a tough call for me without getting one in hand.

Accumulator
03-29-2007, 11:19 AM
There are other features to consider too...trigger/switch, speed range. Is my Metabo "better" than my Makita? Maybe...but it`s not always the one I reach for.

the other pc
03-29-2007, 03:49 PM
...If money were no object why would you choose a German-Made Fein?Hey, Metabos are German too.

But like ZoranC said, it’s all about weighing the machines’ features against your needs.

Actually, if money was an object, you can get the German made (Flex) Porter-Cable 7428 for under a hundred bucks if you hunt around.

PC.

pingable
03-29-2007, 04:09 PM
JMSC -

If you`re down in Bklyn, NYC anytime, hit me up.

You can try my Fein for feelers.

I know how it can be to not be able to *test* a tool locally.

ZoranC
03-29-2007, 04:19 PM
There are other features to consider too...trigger/switch, speed range. Is my Metabo "better" than my Makita? Maybe...but it`s not always the one I reach for.

Definitely. I always feel selection of too, any tool, is a personal decision and that person needs to weigh actual tool in their own hands against their own personal scale of what matters to them. That was directly subconsciously reflected in areas I was talking about, my own taste was focusing on them. Still, even if one chooses tool based on their taste that doesn`t mean that will be always a best tool for a job. I have more than humbly watched guys at Pioneer getting paint on their concept polished. No matter how much I like my Metabo working with it on some of the curves of that car would be harder than it would be with something else.

jmsc
03-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Went to my local CoastalTool shop to look at both Metabo and Fein (which they carry) but neither was in stock. I would have to order one. So I can`t see nor try either one out. They had the D and M. D was way too heavy for me. M looked, felt very pro-type but I want something lighter. The H was not in stock either.

@chefwong: why did you buy the Fein? You could have bought a Metabo and a Hitachi for the same amount of $$$.

pingable
03-29-2007, 05:13 PM
I bought about 2 maybe 3 years ago. I`m a tool junkie.

Lotsa power tools in the garage - alot of Panny drills as I prefer Panasonic, Milwaukee corded drills like the Hole Hawg, etc, etc.

I have Metabo grinders as I feel their grinders are the best....

I don`t use the rotary as much as the polisher but it`s in my stash of tools......