PDA

View Full Version : Need some tips/product info

jsssvt
03-28-2007, 04:25 PM
I have searched multiple websites and get nothing more than simple basic product information. I am looking for the following and i am willing to put even "extreme" amounts of work into the process.

I would like some reccomendations on

Leather cleaner/conditioning - i would actually like to see some results with a product, most i have used are off the shelf, and work to add some shine, but hardly make a difference. I would like to prevent wrinkles, creasing and the associated discoloration as much as possible.

I would also like to achieve a rediculous shine on the exterior, and again, i have predominantly used off the shelf products. I am not concerned with longevity, just the wild shines.

I do not have any "tools" as in an orbital, so hand application is ideal, however, i can purchase one if necessary.

If anyone has any dash cleaner/protectant reccomendations i would appreciate it also, it is for an 05 Acura TL, which has the typical "ashy" dash.

Two of the cars are heavy metallic paints, and one is not, so anything based on that would be great. All have some minor swirling and very minor paint flaws.

If anyone could give me an idea of what to use start to finish i would greatly appreciate it, i am having a hard time reading through most peoples posts as most have wildly variant opinions and im not sure what to make of it. Again, all assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Take care

Jeff

Just02
03-28-2007, 04:44 PM
The products you use depend on what you want to accomplish and how much you want to spend. Also, the incredible glossy, wet, and/or deep paint results from prep and a good wax or sealant, which vary depending upon the properties you`re looking for.

If you can, get a PC.

A basic detailing should consist of:

- Wash

- Clay

- Wash (if needed)

- Polish (It sounds like you could use a finishing polish. It`d be a lot easier to do this with a PC and a good polish, but youc ould do it by hand.)

- Wax or Seal (This step depends on your goal. You can layer to your liking, such as a layer of glaze with a few layers of sealant and a couple more of a good wax. Or you could just use a layer or two of a sealant, such as Jeff`s Werkstatt AJT, or just use a wax like Chemical Guys 50/50. There are so many excellent choices.)

:)

After this you can just maintain with washes and wax/reseal or QD whenever you`d like to maintain the look.

Sorry, I`m looking for a leather conditioner too. I`ve heard good things about Zaino`s product, which supposedly leaves a matte finish with a leathery scent. You could always use 303, but I`ve found that to be insufficent. I have an `02 Accord and 303 provides a great matte finish but the leather feels and looks dry. :(

PS If you`re looking for one particular brand, maybe Zaino or Optimum. Check out acurazine.com and a few other sites and see what they`ve been using for the dash. I thought Honda had an oil based protectant for the dash, particularly for the airbag issue.

tom p.
03-28-2007, 05:06 PM
I would like some reccomendations on

Leather cleaner/conditioning - i would actually like to see some results with a product, most i have used are off the shelf, and work to add some shine, but hardly make a difference. I would like to prevent wrinkles, creasing and the associated discoloration as much as possible.

L E A T H E R I Q U E (part A + part B) :)

jsssvt
03-28-2007, 05:10 PM
I thought Honda had an oil based protectant for the dash, particularly for the airbag issue.

They do, and i have it, im just not happy with the fact that it needs constant reapplication.

Thanks for all your help so far, the expense isnt much of an issue, however, i will not be spending multiple hundreds of dollars on small quantities of waxes, like some of the crazy zymol stuff available.

thanks again

Just02
03-28-2007, 05:11 PM
L E A T H E R I Q U E (part A + part B) :)

I`ve heard that leatherique is nearly uneffective ontop of coated leather. I`m curious though! I just bought some and plan on using it this summer.

Does anyone have experience with leatherique on coated leather?

For the price, wouldn`t a light conditioner with UV protection work just as well on coated leather? :nervous:

SVR
03-28-2007, 07:40 PM
A basic detailing should consist of:

- Wash

- Clay

- Wash (if needed)

- Polish (It sounds like you could use a finishing polish. It`d be a lot easier to do this with a PC and a good polish, but youc ould do it by hand.)

-Sealant/Wax prep product/base coat

AIO like products that lay down a base that allows the sealant or wax to properly bond and cure

Just polishing and then applying sealant will in most cases cause the sealants to not bond properly and come away with the next wash. Durability is a problem without a base.

Even if your only using wax or normal polymer, slap on some AIO, Prime Acrylic or Prime Carnauba.

tom p.
03-29-2007, 07:04 AM
Does anyone have experience with leatherique on coated leather?

Yes.

Heat + long dwell time + plastic covering = :clap:

(nearly all leather is coated. The coating is not impervious, especially as the leather ages/cracks ;) )