PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Inferno Red properties?

WordOfMouth
03-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Okay- so I`ve been asked to detail a Charger RT with Inferno Red paint. The owner was told, get this: "you don`t need to wax the car because of the paint color":laugh:

Have you ever heard anything like this? How can anyone tell him with a straight face his car never needs wax? Maybe, I`m guessing at this, but maybe they put on an extra layer of paint to make the fading less aggressive, but there`s certainly no property about it that doesn`t require waxing.

anyone got any more information on this before May when I detail the car?

Cooter
03-28-2007, 03:36 PM
Do you think it could be something the dealership told him? Or possibly the dealership sealant stuff?

azenthusiast
03-28-2007, 06:13 PM
I have a friend who just got an SRT-8 Grand Cherokee that was told the same thing on black. I think the Daimler Chrysler dealers are getting confused on what exactly those `Auto Butler` treatments do.

budman3
03-28-2007, 07:00 PM
The pigments in red paint are the most prone to fading / oxidation. Let your friend know this and see if he wants it waxed and sealed vs. faded paint....

WordOfMouth
03-29-2007, 08:00 AM
He says stone chips are very minimal after 1 yr ownership, so maybe they put some extra coating on the front end, but certainly nothing that negates waxing/polishing the car. It wasn`t even an after the sale charge- Dodge has this $225 right on the website for either Inferno Red or Torred colors, but not on any other color.

velobard
03-29-2007, 09:23 AM
The extra charge you`re talking about is common with red paints because the pigment is more expensive. As for minimal rock chips, I`m willing to bet you could find any number of other 1 year old cars that don`t have any more chips than his. A lot of it has to do with common-sense driving and dumb luck.

My advice is to ignore all the special properties being rumored about the paint and just approach it like any other car.

kkreit01
03-29-2007, 10:45 AM
I have inferno red on my `05 Neon, and was never told such a thing. I wax it regular, and that paint looks lovely after doing so.

WordOfMouth
03-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks all; that about what I figured.