PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of any Motorcycle Classifieds?

Pages : [1] 2

BobD
03-28-2007, 01:16 PM
I am just sort of browsing but I am looking for a starter bike. I have been checking e-bay and craigslist but was wondering if there was something like an autotrader but for bikes?

Thanks!

BlueZero
03-28-2007, 01:28 PM
You mean like cycletrader.com :chuckle:

BobD
03-28-2007, 01:36 PM
You mean like cycletrader.com :chuckle:

Yeah. :p

They seem to be all new dealers posting new bikes...in my area at least.

topnotchtouch
03-28-2007, 01:59 PM
I got my last bike from a Cycle Trader add. Don`t be afraid to do a little traveling. Your chances of finding a great deal will increase greatly if you expand the market you are looking in. I drove 300 miles to get the deal I wanted, took the wife and kids and made a weekend of it and trailered the bike home.

Have you looked for any regional motorcycle clubs or organizations? They are usually a great source for finding used bikes.

The one thing about the sport is there is a lot of turn over of little used bikes as a lot of people get into it and soon after they start riding they scare the crap out of themselves and then the bike goes on the market :)

What bikes have you been looking at so far?

Wetwerks
03-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Man, I`ve had 7 sportbikes over the last 13 years...I`ve been without for about 4 years now. My uncle let me ride his new Ducati 1098S 2 weekends ago...I`m hooked again and trying to figure out a way to get another one.

Walter

Co-owner

BobD
03-28-2007, 02:25 PM
I got my last bike from a Cycle Trader add. Don`t be afraid to do a little traveling. Your chances of finding a great deal will increase greatly if you expand the market you are looking in. I drove 300 miles to get the deal I wanted, took the wife and kids and made a weekend of it and trailered the bike home.

Have you looked for any regional motorcycle clubs or organizations? They are usually a great source for finding used bikes.

The one thing about the sport is there is a lot of turn over of little used bikes as a lot of people get into it and soon after they start riding they scare the crap out of themselves and then the bike goes on the market :)

What bikes have you been looking at so far?

Thanks! I think I did a 200 mile radius but will try again.

So far, since this will be the first bike I have been on since a Honda 80 back in middle school, I have looked at bikes from the 250cc-500cc range. I actually sat on a friend Buell Blast a couple weekends ago and really liked it. They seem to have bad resale prices so I could probably get one cheap. I also looked at some older Ninja 250`s. They seem to get excellent reviews for a starter bike.

BobD
03-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Man, I`ve had 7 sportbikes over the last 13 years...I`ve been without for about 4 years now. My uncle let me ride his new Ducati 1098S 2 weekends ago...I`m hooked again and trying to figure out a way to get another one.

Walter

Co-owner

I sat on the Buell and my interest in wanting one sky rocketed. LOL And I didn`t even leave the driveway!

Wetwerks
03-28-2007, 02:32 PM
LOL, thats great! Something about motorcycles that do that too you. For me its just the "Freedom" I feel on a ride. Cycletrader is probably your best bet. Only drawback is that bike season is coming around and prices tend to creep up. Your best time to buy is the winter. Best of luck on looking! I highly recommend a safety training class in your area put on by the Motor Cycle Safety Foundation. Usually held over the course of a weekend and they provide the motorcycles in the beginner classes. You also my receive a discount on bike insurance by attending one.

Walter

Co-owner

topnotchtouch
03-28-2007, 02:36 PM
If I had to chose between the two I would probably go with the Ninja 250 over the Buell Blast. The Ninja has a proven track record and they hold their value well. You could probably ride the Ninja for a couple of years and still sell it for something very close to what you paid for it.

If you are doing a search on Craigs list or Cycle trader search for EX250 as well as Ninja 250, you may get more hits that way.

topnotchtouch
03-28-2007, 02:41 PM
LOL, thats great! Something about motorcycles that do that too you. For me its just the "Freedom" I feel on a ride. Cycletrader is probably your best bet. Only drawback is that bike season is coming around and prices tend to creep up. Your best time to buy is the winter. Best of luck on looking! I highly recommend a safety training class in your area put on by the Motor Cycle Safety Foundation. Usually held over the course of a weekend and they provide the motorcycles in the beginner classes. You also my receive a discount on bike insurance by attending one.

Walter

Co-owner

Ditto that, definitely take the MSF course! In some states you can present your MSF card when you apply for the motorcycle endorsement and bypass the riding portion of the DMV test.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation (http://www.msf-usa.org/)

BobD
03-28-2007, 02:44 PM

Walter

Co-owner

Yeah, I for sure will be taking a safety class. They are $25 and if I take it I don`t have to do a road test when I go to get my license. Only a written test. :)

Wetwerks
03-28-2007, 02:45 PM
uggghh the DMV riding test. Here in Texas they have to follow you in another vehicle (you provide the vehicle and it better be insured, registered, and inspected) and an additional driver that has to be legal. The trooper will ride with the person following you. 1 honk right, 2 honks left, 3 honks stop, around a neighborhood.

Walter

Co-owner

BobD
03-28-2007, 02:47 PM
If I had to chose between the two I would probably go with the Ninja 250 over the Buell Blast. The Ninja has a proven track record and they hold their value well. You could probably ride the Ninja for a couple of years and still sell it for something very close to what you paid for it.

If you are doing a search on Craigs list or Cycle trader search for EX250 as well as Ninja 250, you may get more hits that way.

Yeah, I read an article on the Buell where they said, while they where testing it, people kept calling it "cute" and the most interest in the bike was from women. LOL The Ninja 250 review I read said it handled like the expensive bikes and had no flaws and was a great bike for the price.

Is there a difference between the EX250 and Ninja 250?

Thanks for the tips and help!

BobD
03-28-2007, 02:48 PM
uggghh the DMV riding test. Here in Texas they have to follow you in another vehicle (you provide the vehicle and it better be insured, registered, and inspected) and an additional driver that has to be legal. The trooper will ride with the person following you. 1 honk right, 2 honks left, 3 honks stop, around a neighborhood.

Walter

Co-owner

WTH?!?!? LOL As far as I know the Michigan test you just have to go to a certified center and go around some cones without putting your feet down. LOL

topnotchtouch
03-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Is there a difference between the EX250 and Ninja 250?

Thanks for the tips and help!

I don`t believe there is any difference. I think Kawasaki moved away from the Ninja name for a short time and was calling it just the EX250. I am a Honda man myself, if there is a difference hopefully someone will chime in but I am fairly certain there isn`t.