PDA

View Full Version : Few questions

jeteast99
03-27-2007, 11:27 AM
First, I have tried to search but it is not working. Well I have a 96 black 328i that was repainted about 7 months ago. Last week I did a detail on it. Washed with Meguiars gold class, clayed bar, used poorboys 2.5 on the hood with an orange pad, poorboys 1 with orange pad all over the car the poorboys ex-p with a blue pad. Most of the swirls were out, maybe if i did more passes, they would have all been out but the sun was setting. Using the poorboys line, I did not enjoy the dusting of the product so i went on autogeek and bought optimum compound, optimum polish and optimum poli-seal. while shopping i also noticed optimum no rinse and optimum car wax so also bought those. On saturday i used the ONR and after washing it, i noticed the reapperance of swirl marks. I was using a meguiars chenille mitt and using the two bucket method and microfiber towels to dry. Could it be that poorboys products just hid the swirl marks and not remove them or could it be something it my wash technique. Or maybe the microfiber towels. Well This week i plan to detail it again using the optimum line. Polish, Poli seal and optimum car wax. Is the Optimum car wax good? I also have some mequiars gold class wax i bought a few months ago and would also like to know how good is that.

Accumulator
03-27-2007, 12:58 PM
jeteast99- Welcome to Autopia!

If I had to take a guess I`d say you introduced *new* marring when you washed. Washing without marring is tricky and IMO products like ONR are gonna take longer to get the hang of than more conventional wash techniques.

Sure OCW is good, a lot of people are very happy with it. Gold Class is generally considered a good looking but short-lived wax, pretty good for an OTC product.

I`d do a CD-test with that Meguiar`s mitt (wet with shampoo mix). IIRC there are some Meg`s mitts that aren`t all that soft. I`d test the MFs too, for that matter I test most anything that`s gonna touch my paint. Many CDs are softer than automotive paint, but I`d rather err on the side of caution and even if something mars you can still glean some useful info from how *easily* it does that.

Remember the whole issue of wash-induced marring: if you press something hard (like dirt or a coarse mitt) against the paint, and then *move* that "something hard" while it`s in contact with the paint, you`ll cause a scratch. It *is* a dilemma.. how do you get stuff off the paint without moving it under pressure :think: