PDA

View Full Version : What is better than the sheepskin mit

Pages : [1] 2

xmx250
03-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Okay for the second time now i`ve tried the sheepskin mitt against a brand new CD-R. The first time i did it the CD got swirled.

Several people told me to try the test with the mit wett. Today i got a brand new sheepskin mitt in from a recommended retailer. I wet the mitt and lightly rubbed it against the CD. ONce again it swirled the CD....................... Can someone recommend me to something that i can wash my car with that will not swirl. I feel like if it swirls the CD its swirling my clear coat.

BigJimZ28
03-26-2007, 03:26 PM
1.) anything that will touch your car can swirl(there is no way around this)

2.)did you wash the mitt?

3.)a good car wash soap is used for lube!

4.)how hard were you rubbing?

5.)some poeple like a natural sea sponge or a good MF( I like sheepskin)

BMW335i
03-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Okay for the second time now i`ve tried the sheepskin mitt against a brand new CD-R. The first time i did it the CD got swirled.

Several people told me to try the test with the mit wett. Today i got a brand new sheepskin mitt in from a recommended retailer. I wet the mitt and lightly rubbed it against the CD. ONce again it swirled the CD....................... Can someone recommend me to something that i can wash my car with that will not swirl. I feel like if it swirls the CD its swirling my clear coat.

Clearcoat is MUCH harder than a CD. Add to that the lubricity of your car wash soap and its highly unlikely it will swirl. MANY people here use sheepskin.

BMWE30
03-26-2007, 03:29 PM
The Shmitt, I love it I literally gave my sheepskin away. The Shmitt also allows you to see the dirt much easier than a sheepskin, it also cover a greater area than the sheepskin does

BMW335i
03-26-2007, 03:31 PM
The Shmitt, I love it I literally gave my sheepskin away. The Shmitt also allows you to see the dirt much easier than a sheepskin, it also cover a greater area than the sheepskin does

Don`t confuse the OP. Either way, you`ll be OK, using a Schmitt or a sheepskin. I still prefer a sheepskin, it is just so soft.

xmx250
03-26-2007, 04:23 PM
This is killing me, LOL. I think i`m just gonna learn to live with swirls, but their so UGLY.

whats the soap with the best lube? i currently use meguirs gold class

Roger V
03-26-2007, 04:36 PM
This is killing me, LOL. I think i`m just gonna learn to live with swirls, but their so UGLY.

Don`t learn to live with them! Abolish them. GC is a great soap. Like someone said, clear coat on a car is more resilient then a cds surface. Are you using proper washing techniques?

Pennypacker
03-26-2007, 05:02 PM

Good wash technique is just as, if not more important, than the wash media you choose. Some people like seasponges, others like grout sponges, some like sheepskin, others like the Schmitt, still others prefer chenille pads. There`s no clear-cut answer, just personal preference. I happen to like seasponges, but that`s just me. Try different types and see which you like best.

Nothing wrong with GC soap, although there are others that are a little more lubricious, such as Griot`s and Werkstatt to name a couple. Some are known specifically for having very good lubricity, such as 1Z Perls and 1Z Exclusiv Glanz, which are very nice, but also very expensive. And, of course, there`s the ever-popular Optimum No-Rinse which is quite good as well.

Good Luck! :)

Accumulator
03-26-2007, 06:23 PM

This must be very frustrating, but at least you`re trying to sort things out :xyxthumbs

The CD-testing is a bit more complicated than just testing wet. Besides the differences in various CDs (I usually test with old AOL promo ones or the audio CDs that get left in the used cars I buy), you gotta have the mitt really *saturated* with wash solution (it takes a while for these things to soften up), the CD oughta be wet, and you oughta use the same pressure that you`d use to wash the car.

I haven`t tested mine recently, but my Autopia store sheepskins passed easily. So did my BHBs from Griot`s and AutoGeek and the bristels of those brushes aren`t nearly as gentle -feeling as the nap of the mitts (once the mitts are softened up that is).

But you could always get some plush MF mitts, those *absolutely* oughta pass (mine sure did).

I use Griot`s shampoo, it has *superb* lubricity. Whole `nother class than GC that`s for sure.

Using a foamgun and BHBs, sheepskin mitts, and MF mitts, I`m able to wash over and over again with no wash induced marring. It *can* be done, so I too hope you don`t give up.

xmx250
03-27-2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks accumulator. I`ll try this test on a old CD thats not a CD-R. I`ll also give the griots shampoo a try.

imported_Surfer
03-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Personally I love the Shmitt, I don`t even use my sheepskins anymore. My go to washes are Duragloss 901 and Poorboys SSS, both very slick and good yet gentle cleaning.

SVR
03-27-2007, 09:18 PM
MF for me. Schmitt is foam. What makes it better than a traditional sponge.

I blot wash now with a heap of MF mitts and foam gun

crew219
03-27-2007, 10:29 PM
I really like the MF mitt specialty motoring used to sell. They stopped producing them and OCDgarage has a few left on clearance.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d9/dmakca/Detailing/Mitt/IMG_0684.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d9/dmakca/Detailing/Mitt/IMG_0690.jpg

Dave

cobrar97
04-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Those MF mits should be on clearance. Those things hold road dirt like crazy and take forever to get clean.

crew219
04-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Those MF mits should be on clearance. Those things hold road dirt like crazy and take forever to get clean.

I haven`t had any issues with them. Just dip the mitt in the rinse bucket and twirl . . . all the dirt comes right off. I actually prefer it to the eurow sheepskins and the synth sheepskins.

Dave