PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok not to dry between 1st wash and claying?

5IVE
03-26-2007, 02:07 PM
I don`t see the point becuase if i rinse after my first wash, the car is wet. the next step is to clay using a soap/water solution. What is the point of drying the car before claying?

joyriiide1113
03-26-2007, 02:11 PM
I`ve seen psots where a very good detailer said that he did just that.

I on the other hand, only dry horizonal surfaces, includings all windows and mirrors.

deathlok
03-26-2007, 02:11 PM
in order not to make some watermarks but yes you probably polish after clay so it is ok not to dry (completely)

Accumulator
03-26-2007, 02:25 PM
As long as the water doesn`t dry/cause spots it should work fine. Doesn`t really seem any different from claying while you wash...just remember that there`s a limit to how long you can leave the water on there before it starts to dry and cause potential problems.

5IVE
03-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks guys! I`ll be doing the following steps one after the other, hopefully in about 3 hours total tonight...will most definitely post pics!!

1)pre wash

2)clay

3)final wash

4)dry

By the way, the respect that people have for each other on this forum is absolutely AMAZING! I really commend everyone here for helping each other out and being very professional!

5IVE
03-27-2007, 09:47 AM
OK so I washed/rinsed and did not dry. Next I clayed using blue magic and wow!! The surface was so lubricated with the water and clay magic lube combo, that I barely used the spray provided with the clay. I did wash after claying because I noticed that the surface had a thin white film on it. The results from this clay are fantastic imho. I have not tried any other clays, but for a first time user this was exactly what i expected. I clayed the entire car (including windows and wheels) in about 45 minutes. Thanks for everyones input on claying on this forum in general, the tutorial also helped! Thanks everyone!

Accumulator
03-27-2007, 11:28 AM
5ive- Glad to hear it all went so well :xyxthumbs

imported_Ivan Rajic
03-27-2007, 12:34 PM
i didn`t read all the replies but the first few were correct... just don`t let the water dry

i usually keep the hose near me, and just open the nozzle a bit to re-wet the paint while claying every so often

BMW335i
03-27-2007, 12:38 PM
By the way, the respect that people have for each other on this forum is absolutely AMAZING! I really commend everyone here for helping each other out and being very professional!

Yeah, of all the forums I`ve visited (alot), this is the most courteous, kind and mature forum I`ve ever been to.

itb76
03-27-2007, 12:45 PM
I`ve tried this, but have had better luck with drying the car then using clay lube. However others have been successful with just soapy water. I had trouble with the clay smearing.

I agree, and appreciate this. I used to frequent another forum where the slamming that went on just got to me.

imported_Ivan Rajic
03-27-2007, 02:36 PM
I`ve tried this, but have had better luck with drying the car then using clay lube. However others have been successful with just soapy water. I had trouble with the clay smearing.

i think the people that are successful don`t simply use just the soapy water, rather leave the car wet AND use some sort of lube, but less of it since there`s water

imported_Denzil
03-27-2007, 02:43 PM
i think the people that are successful don`t simply use just the soapy water, rather leave the car wet AND use some sort of lube, but less of it since there`s water

Soapy water can work. It just really depends on the clay because some clays are more picky than others.