PDA

View Full Version : CG 5050 - Durable or Just a Beauty Wax?

Pages : [1] 2

mbkintner
03-25-2007, 12:58 AM
I`ve read through several threads on CG 5050 but can`t find much detail about it`s durability. Several people imply that it`s durable or state that they hope to get 4+ weeks of durability. However I haven`t seen anyone stating specifics on how long it performed. Any feedback?

imported_themightytimmah
03-25-2007, 01:18 AM
I`ve had pretty good luck with it... It got 5 weeks on my car before I ended up polishing and Z2ing it for storage. It was still doing good at 5 weeks... I`d bet you could do 3 months or more on a garaged car. It has *far* superior durability to Souveran, in my experience.

It`s one of my new favorites... very clear look, not the wettest, but depth off the charts. Great range of color too - overall, I prefer it to Souveran on everything but red and black cars with curvy lines. It looks absolutely sick on silver.

Edit: I saw similar durability on a weekly wash car... 4 weeks and it was still popping, but a second coat did add a little gloss.

BigHonu
03-25-2007, 02:37 AM
I very easily got 4 weeks out of 2 coats and weekly ONR washes. Was still going strong appearance wise, but slickness dropped off a tad. Only reason it came off was because, like most autopians, I had other products to try.

tom p.
03-25-2007, 06:32 AM
I am in the process of testing its "durability". I have washed the car three times since it was applied and it`s obvious the product is beginning to fade. Very nice product, I can`t see using it on a daily driver as I don`t have the time or desire to re-apply every few months. This is the case with many hi-content carnaubas so nothing unusual, no big surprises.

If you seek the carnauba quality and want longevity, I`ll suggest a look at the Blitz Wax.

imported_mburnickas
03-25-2007, 07:53 AM
For me, it last a lot longer then NB here.

Changeling
03-25-2007, 03:13 PM
I`ve had pretty good luck with it... It got 5 weeks on my car before I ended up polishing and Z2ing it for storage. It was still doing good at 5 weeks... I`d bet you could do 3 months or more on a garaged car. It has *far* superior durability to Souveran, in my experience.

It`s one of my new favorites... very clear look, not the wettest, but depth off the charts. Great range of color too - overall, I prefer it to Souveran on everything but red and black cars with curvy lines. It looks absolutely sick on silver.

Edit: I saw similar durability on a weekly wash car... 4 weeks and it was still popping, but a second coat did add a little gloss.

Timmah, I lent my 50/50 (yesterday) to my painter friend (learning) to try on his Dark Green Corvette (1996) with the condition that he use Megs #7 gloss before he applied the 50/50.

I don`t have the capability of pictures yet, but believe me, when we finished and pulled it out of the shop into the sun for a look see, it just plain started pulling a crowd!! I`m talking customers, shop owner, body work guys and even the guy who shoots the paint for the shop! The odd part was that everyone kept saying WOW, who painted that Corvette.

The senior painter who was standing there said " You don`t get that look from paint lady" , and he was grinning from ear to ear even though he had nothing whatsoever to do with the Corvette.

This was the first time my can of 50/50 was used and the Megs #7 for that matter.

Timmah, try a gloss under your 50/50 and be prepared to go for a swim in the depths of a very deep pool!:drool:

Changeling

GlossyTundra
03-25-2007, 03:16 PM
So #7 under the 50/50 huh, never thought of that.

RallyG
03-25-2007, 03:52 PM

What would you recommend for a red or metallic orange?

ZoranC
03-25-2007, 05:47 PM

In a way nothing new, Meguiar`s fans like to do #7 under #16 and then for extra (short term lived) WOW factor do once again #7 on top of #16.

ZoranC
03-25-2007, 05:49 PM
... it just plain started pulling a crowd!! I`m talking customers, shop owner, body work guys and even the guy who shoots the paint for the shop!

So, you would say it doesn`t have anti-static properties? :lol

Changeling
03-25-2007, 07:36 PM

Well don`t give me the credit, it came from one of the most premier detailers on this web site. I was having thoughts about 50/50 and he was the one with the most experience with the product at the time. There was a post where he had pictures of some cars he had done, when I saw what he had accomplished with 50/50 it just plain shook me in my shoes!!

I sent some PM`s to him for advise and I came up with this application process. He uses different products to achieve different looks on different vehicles and because of his use of so many products I feel secure in anything he would describe or offer advise on.

The described combination is the way I am going to go from my start ( No practical experience yet), so keep that in mind.

The above is only the LSP that I will start with, the paint preparation (most important) was beaten into my feeble brain by Accumulator. Basically, 3M PIII 05937 Machine Glaze which is now probably darn near impossible to find (but it`s out there) ! If I have trouble with some heavy swirls it will be 3M PIII 05933 Rubbing Compound. But I don`t expect to need this on my specific vehicle, but I will definitely need it on some of the neighbors/friends rides, and teaching/learning ( LOL) some of my young friends. They like to see results and when they do, man they are hooked like a fish. Not bad for keeping a kid off the streets, what do you think?

Changeling

PS. I have a fair amount of LSP`s in addition to what was mentioned above for various car colors plus some of the Menzerna PO106FF if I run into some of those really hard cases that accumulator, Scott and others talk about.

I won`t even go into the MF towels, mitts, bottles, Etc,.

Sorry to rant but it`s not really as expensive as everyone wants you to believe when compaired to a lot of hobbies that have absolutely no return other than exercise an enjoyment, This on has it all!!:grinno:

Changeling
03-25-2007, 08:01 PM
So, you would say it doesn`t have anti-static properties? :lol

LOL. I would suggest that you "Not" untie my donkey from his hitching post and try to ride him.

In short, get off my donkey! You seem to have some reason to keep poking at me for the last week or so. I don`t know what your problem is but why don`t you just try to spit it out and say what is on your mind !! Anti-static properties ! What in the hell is your feeble mind trying to say?

You have been able to get past all the big words like anti and static and even able to abbreviate "Laughing out Loud", now see if you can put a meaningful sentence together! It`s not hard , just put your lips together and "Blow", whoops, did I touch on your secret wish!!

Sorry, I love playing with Kittens to much!!!!!

Changeling

BigJimZ28
03-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Changeling: F.Y.I. #7 is a Glaze not a Gloss

ZoranC
03-25-2007, 10:01 PM
In short, get off my donkey!

Donkey? :spit:

You seem to have some reason to keep poking at me for the last week or so. I don`t know what your problem is but why don`t you just try to spit it out and say what is on your mind !! Anti-static properties ! What in the hell is your feeble mind trying to say?

Poking? When? When I was pointing out the obvious? Or when I was reminding you you are repeating yourself? Since when that is poking? And since when joke about wax job attracting people because it doesn`t have anti-static properties is poking? Sorry you didn`t have same sense of humor.

It`s not hard , just put your lips together and "Blow", whoops, did I touch on your secret wish!! Sorry, I love playing with Kittens to much!!!!!

Tsk, tsk, tsk :nono

You seem too easily worked up over nothing too often. Here, take this :chill: Heck, take two :chill: :chill: as I doubt one will work. I`ll just :ignore

DM101
03-26-2007, 07:33 AM
#7 ia a pure polish. As Meg 3, 5, 7, and 81 ...... Allgreat befor adding your lsp. Makes finish wet, dark, and deep. Very underutilized products.