PDA

View Full Version : Uneven reflection

MattB
03-23-2007, 08:26 PM
I`ve always had trouble with this: after I wax my car by hand, there are noticable variations in the reflection off the paint due to the circular motion in which the wax is applied and all. How do I minimize this effect? I know I`m not using too much wax so that`s not the problem.

Also why do wax applicators always end up dirty after waxing a CLEAN car?

Way2SSlow
03-23-2007, 08:37 PM
I would try applying the wax in a forward and back or up and down motion. If what you`re seeing is a result of th circular motion....seems the logical thing to do is to stop applying in a circular motion. Perhaps you`re not applying the product evenly. What wax are you using? Have you tried applying it with a PC? A PC might help you to get a more even coat.

As far as the applicators....I would suggest that your car isnt as clean as you think it is. What is your process before waxing? Are you using a paint cleaner prior to your final coat of wax? As far as the wash goes, be as anal as you can be about making sure the car is spotless.

If you tell us a little more about your process, we might be able to help a little more.

HTH,

Wade

Brian_Brice
03-23-2007, 08:45 PM
better coverage if applied in straight lines imo. also less chance of inducing marring.

imported_J.D.
03-23-2007, 08:55 PM
maybe using micro fibre cloth flater with more even pressure.. also paint surface may need minor correction with foam finishing buff pad.

MattB
03-23-2007, 08:58 PM
maybe using micro fibre cloth flater with more even pressure.. also paint surface may need minor correction with foam finishing buff pad.

Yeah the paint surface probably could use a good clay bar and polish. I plan on doing that this summer once I get back home from school. This is just a quick wax job to hold it over until then. The reflection problem (if it does happen, I`ll have to see it under the sun), goes away anyway after the car gets dirty again so it`s not a huge issue.

Accumulator
03-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Yeah, a dirty applicator means it wasn`t really clean enough for LSPing, oughta use something like Sonus green clay first.

The direction won`t matter with regard to inducing marring, PCs move in "random orbital motions" and nobody says that *they* oughta be moving in straight lines. Straight line scratches aren`t as readily visible as circular ones, but you shouldn`t be scratching when you wax anyhow.

Work at getting an even application, it just takes a little practice. I too generally wax by machine, but I apply sealants by hand and it just takes a while to get the right feel for certain products.

But I bet the whole thing would go better if the surface were better prepped. Get rid of whatever`s causing the soiled wax applicator and I bet you`ll also get a better looking wax job. On a well-prepped surface, as the was dries a certain amount of wax bonds and the rest gets buffed away, it`s almost self-regulating.. but this depends on how well-prepped that surface really is and you do need to apply a reasonably uniform amount of wax.

Setec Astronomy
03-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Yeah the paint surface probably could use a good clay bar and polish. I plan on doing that this summer once I get back home from school. This is just a quick wax job to hold it over until then. The reflection problem (if it does happen, I`ll have to see it under the sun), goes away anyway after the car gets dirty again so it`s not a huge issue.

What wax are you using? Sounds like maybe you just need to use a cleaner wax, if you`re not.

MattB
03-25-2007, 05:47 PM
What wax are you using? Sounds like maybe you just need to use a cleaner wax, if you`re not.

Yeah the paint definately needs cleaning, I`m going to have to be sure to do that this summer. That being said, I took the car outside and looked at it under the sun and the reflection was nice and even so it worked out well in the end. I am looking forward to doing a heavy detail including a clay bar though.