PDA

View Full Version : I need some rim cleaning help.

Canadian GP
03-23-2007, 06:22 PM
I bought a set of used Ikon rims today that were driven on all winter. When I got home what I thought was just dirt on the lip turned out to be built up salt/dirt.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/237000-237999/237634_76_full.jpg

I washed one with soap and water, then scrubbed it with a stiff plastic bristle brush with Eagle One rim cleaner. Some of the build up came off but not much. I then turned to Nevr Dull and after 90 minutes of rubbing the rim looks like this.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/237000-237999/237634_77_full.jpg

The surface feels pretty smooth but as you can see in the pic it still has marks all over the rim. My next step was going to use a powerball and wax on it but I thought I would ask you veterans before I continue.

TIA

Z K
03-23-2007, 06:48 PM
I bought used wheels before and had to deal with this. I kinda got it as good as I could get it and let it be.

If you want to restore them, I think you`re probably looking at sanding it down to bare metal, getting it polished and reclear-coat the wheels.

smokin180
03-23-2007, 07:20 PM
cleaned my 2nd hand chrome rims looked about like that or worse powerball used eagle one nano polish with anticorrosion

Canadian GP
03-23-2007, 07:33 PM
cleaned my 2nd hand chrome rims looked about like that or worse powerball used eagle one nano polish with anticorrosion

What were the results?

Is is safe to assume the polished lip is clearcoated?

smokin180
03-23-2007, 07:44 PM
came out really great and yes they are clearcoated

imported_Yal
03-23-2007, 07:44 PM
This is why people recommend not to drive chrome wheels through winter were salted roads are common. What you have there is a chemical reaction with the chrome plating :(

Try the powerball or flitz ball that you can connect to a drill if you have one. You need machine power. Try not to go overboard or you will wear through the chrome.

Oh and get some winter wheels :)

Canadian GP
03-23-2007, 08:09 PM
Try the powerball or flitz ball that you can connect to a drill if you have one. You need machine power. Try not to go overboard or you will wear through the chrome.

Oh and get some winter wheels :)

I do have a Powerball that I will try tomorrow once I have all the rims as clean as I can get them.

These rims were used over the winter by the person I bought off of today. I do have winter wheels on my car, stockers that I had powdercoated. :2thumbs:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/237000-237999/237634_67_full.jpg

I have been told to try Autosol, can I use it without knowing if my rims are clearcoated?

Monte78Carlo2k1
03-23-2007, 11:28 PM
:2thumbs: Ah I know who you but personally but forumly. I have seen your car on the Grand Prix Forum. Must say I do love your car! Awesome color too!

Canadian GP
03-24-2007, 10:10 AM
I have seen your car on the Grand Prix Forum. Must say I do love your car! Awesome color too!

Yeah, I`m always pimping my car on the Grand Prix forums. :xyxthumbs