PDA

View Full Version : Is this the Best I can do - Leather Care

pingable
03-23-2007, 01:47 PM
I`ve put 42K miles on my X5. Since brand new, the seats have always had a wipedown with a damp MF every time I wash the car. Every once in awhile, I`ll use the Griots Interior Cleaner / Water 50:50 and scrub with a horse hair brush and then apply Leatherique RO.

Every summer, I will do the whole Leatherique PC/RO routine.

Bottom line....I`ve maintained the leather to the best of my abilities.

But regardless, I am getting wear. Mainly on the bolsters and I suspect it`s just due to how they`re shaped. The passenger side is highlighted more in the pic. On the drivers, it`s much worse. There is wear on the side bolster, upper back bolster area and part of the seat padding itself.

I just took a pic after a nice cleaning.

It actually blends in more when the seats have some dirt on them.

I`ve managed the *step down* method without my rear rubbing on the bolster on the drivers side....

Is there any hope just short of a redye. I am avoiding a re-dye as the stitching is a dark brown as opposed to the seats which are beige.

http://www.pingablesolutions.com/images/X5/drivers.jpg

http://www.pingablesolutions.com/images/X5/passenger.jpg

Sweepy
03-23-2007, 02:26 PM
I`ve put 42K miles on my X5. Since brand new, the seats have always had a wipedown with a damp MF every time I wash the car. Every once in awhile, I`ll use the Griots Interior Cleaner / Water 50:50 and scrub with a horse hair brush and then apply Leatherique RO.

Every summer, I will do the whole Leatherique PC/RO routine.

Bottom line....I`ve maintained the leather to the best of my abilities.

But regardless, I am getting wear. Mainly on the bolsters and I suspect it`s just due to how they`re shaped. The passenger side is highlighted more in the pic. On the drivers, it`s much worse. There is wear on the side bolster, upper back bolster area and part of the seat padding itself.

Hello ChefWong,

You were probably over-killing with the Leatherique. If the leather is too conditioned it will become more elastic than the urethane prime & colour-coats on top. So when your weight is on the seat the difference in the stretch will cause cracks to appear on top. Leather does not need that much conditioning, contrary to popular belief. The only part that is visible to us is the top and that is what we need to keep clean and grit free. You certainly have the right idea with the way you take care of that part - a gentle rub with a damp m/f and slight detergent is perfect. I have 5 yr old leather seats and I have only cleaned them. They still look and feel brand new.

But don`t forget that leather is skin, and if you are going to use it, you can expect wrinkles to form. Its virtually unavoidable. I`ve restored a lot of classic leather interiors. The owners would not dream of replacing the original leather, because the wrinkles and scars all form part of the character of the car.

Modern water based coating on new leather is different though. It doesn`t last as well as the old solvent based lacquer. Character is lost to wear. There are colour-washes you can get though. It doesn`t re-dye the leather, but fills in the imperfections so they are not so visible. Its not a bad job, once you get the right colour. You may need to snip a peice of leather off from underneath the seat and send it away to be matched though.

Sweepy

PS. Question - what sort of fabric do you usually wear? The wear can also be due to man-made fibre (polyester, acrylic, etc)

brwill2005
03-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Learn to live with it. Sounds as if you are doing everything possible to maintain them correctly. Rember leather is a natural material, and will always have imperfections such as folds and wrinkles.

pingable
03-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Thanks. Actually, it`s not cracks but more like half rings that appear on the bolsters. I think it`s more due to just dye wear than anything.

On the Leatherique, I am not dousing it as most people do. I`m figuring just due to the leather and how it`s just coated anyhow, I`m not really sure how effective Leatherique or any leather conditioner is on new car leather. Does it actually soak, absorb and condition. I just do it 2X a year anyhow, once before winter and once during spring just for the hell of it.....

I often find that a damp mf works best with a scubbing with the boars hair brush, which truely does get that MUCH MORE grit out between the leather graining. Damm those sport seat bolsters ;-)

Sweepy
03-24-2007, 03:53 PM
Yep, Leather can be a heart-breaker but you still gotta love it! New leather shouldn`t need to be conditioned so I think you could put the leatherique up on the shelf for now. You`re doing everything else right.

Mayur
03-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Try a Mr Clean Magic Foam Eraser because I heard alot of good things about it on leather.

David Fermani
03-25-2007, 07:48 AM
The only thing you could have done better is to cover them with a seat cover. :laugh: