PDA

View Full Version : Newbie..Turtle Wax Mistake?..

Saumil
03-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Hello all...newbie here who recently bought an 06 mits lancer - graphite gray..2 weeks ago i washed with "blue coral wash" and waxed with turtle wax cleaner wax. My cars remains outdoors 24.7..it has snowed alot up here, and theres salt all over my car..not to mention the water spots/minerals..im handwashing tomorrow with the right stuff after reading on autopia..

My question is..do i have to remove the last coat of wax (TW CLEANER) to put on meguair`s gold class..or can i layer it on there?..It looks and feels as if the wax is not even on there anymore after a brutal week..but im just making sure...

I have looked at threads for countless hours and purchased some good washing supplies,QD,tire cleaners..etc..

What do you guys think i should do?

Thanks in advance!!

dmxsoulja3
03-21-2007, 09:07 PM
If you are concerned, wash the car with dawn that should take off the wax and let you start fresh. of course you can skip this step if you plan on claying which will also probably take it off.

twitch
03-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Sorry dmxsoulja3 but I disagree with the Dawn statement. Dawn is highly overrated in its ability to remove wax.

The better step, as you also mentioned, would be to clay the surface.

Saumil what products do you have to work with? Let us know what you have and we can chime in.

Also I wouldn`t be real concerned yet with the product you used. I`m sure it won`t harm your finish. Give your Lancer a good wash (with carwash soap) and apply the Gold Class as a "topper" if you don’t have anything else yet.

dmxsoulja3
03-21-2007, 09:25 PM
Yeah you are probably right, but guessing on the weakness of the turtle wax stuff I figured it might be a shot if he didn`t have any clay...Though I`m seeing simple clay kits at all the auto parts stores recently and as stated thats your easiest option, not to mention its also a very functional option in the sense of your end results.

steck
03-22-2007, 09:08 AM
i wouldnt worry about a thing.

layer your gold class right on there.

the longer you stick around here, the more you realize OTC products (like TW) aren`t really that bad !!!!!

in fact this is one of my GOTO`s...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/steck/3453454534.jpg

which is on my vette :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/steck/P9250007.jpg

keesue
03-22-2007, 09:15 AM
TW works fine. Any wax works fine if you prep the surface. The issue is how long it lasts.

imported_Lightman
03-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Keesue is correct, and I will say megs gold class has pretty poor durability. If you`re parking outside in a salty area etc I`d suggest looking into a quality sealant.

Saumil
03-22-2007, 10:36 AM
a quality sealant like the klass twins...aio + sealant right...im about to order a kit..but shopping around...just realized that autogeek.net has promotional codes..you guys already know this but if you dont..type in autopia for 10%..

anyways..my supplies so far

megs gc wash

megs gc wax

tw cleaner wax

buncha mf`s...75/25

megs tire cleaner

dont have that much...will be getting more stuff soon..ive learned most of the stuff i know about detailing in the last 5 days alone!..thanks alot for your help!

oh yeah..i will buy a clay detailing kit soon...a week ago i was about to buy TW ICE liquid clay bar!!!....no more...i guess for a "consumer", tw makes their ice brand very appealing..