PDA

View Full Version : Polishing small and hard to get areas?

1Bad81Bu
03-21-2007, 05:06 PM
Do you guys polish by hand in areas that are hard to get the PC in? Such as the A pillar and the doors inbetween the glass? Bumpers and any other small areas? And when taping off do you tape the edge of the doors and hood to not get any polish in the crevice. I thought I read somewhere they taped the edges cuz it could burn through the paint also?

I am wanting to get polishing on my truck but I want to make sure I have everything I need and know every step i`m gonna have to make when polishing. I thought about getting a small backing plate and some 4" pads or a polishin` pal. What is your recommendations for these areas? I want to make sure and get the swirls out still in the hard areas also. Will be using Menzerna IP and FPII.

imported_themightytimmah
03-21-2007, 05:16 PM
I do the A-pillars with a rotary, tilted a little bit and only a little bit of the pad touches the paint. Before that, I always used a Cyclo, but a PC and 4" pads would do a great job as well. I wouldn`t do them by hand, as you are simply not going to get good swirl removal by hand with Menzerna products.

I don`t tape off the doors or edges either - I`ve never burned paint on an edge before, but when using a rotary I slow down the machine speed towards the edges. Via PC, burning through an edge has never been a big worry for me. When I`m done polishing, I just open the doors and hood and wipe the jambs down with QD and a MF towel - removing any polish residue.

This pic shows how much I tape off when rotary compounding (HTEC) - I tape off any door edges that I wouldn`t be able to get into and remove residue from, and any trim that could be burned by the rotary.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/themightytimmah/DSC00023.jpg

When I am finish polishing, I tape off far less. This is how much I would tape off for a PC or rotary with FPII - where there is less fear of burning trim and thick residue. I only tape off the fragile emblems and XM antenna. There is tape left over on the spoiler from the compounding step.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/themightytimmah/DSC004444.jpg

1Bad81Bu
03-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Kool, i`ll probably go ahead and get some 4` pads. What about like vinyl pinstriping? Definitely don`t polish over correct. Like my truck has a stripe and the FX4 sticker on the bed. Stay away from correct? Thx for your help.

Accumulator
03-21-2007, 05:58 PM
What about like vinyl pinstriping? Definitely don`t polish over correct. Like my truck has a stripe and the FX4 sticker on the bed. Stay away from correct?

Yeah, I stay off `em. It`s not like you can`t get away with *some* abrading of them, but it`s a fine line between OK and not.

I *have* cut through thin paint on edges, and with just the PC/Cyclo too. Not something you always have to worry about, but every case oughta be considered on its own.

For the tight spots, it pays to have a fairly aggressive product that`ll work OK by hand. I use 3M PI-III RC 05933 and 1Z Ultra/Extra for aggressive work like that. Still mighty slow going if you have any significant marring to fix though.

pingable
03-21-2007, 07:02 PM
HA Ha Scott.

Remember the good `ole days when you use to polish by hand ;-)