PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about this comment

Pages : [1] 2

Jo Donny
03-19-2007, 04:25 PM
I found this in a discussion on a forum about detailing. I didn`t seem to agree with some of this, tell me what you guys think.

"Any product with a silicone base WILL eat through your clear coat over time, especially fresh paint. THE BEST products out there are made by 3M, and they are all oil based. Unfortunately i`m pretty sure only automotive suppliers carry their products. i work at a body shop and it`s the only stuff we use. Ardex, meguires`s zymol and pretty much anything else is ok but there not made to last, they wear away much faster than anything by 3M.

For oxidized panels, u might just be **** outta luck depending on how bad it is...if it`s through the clear don`t put any wax on it. even if u do and it may seem like it looks better it`s only hurting it. bascoat and wax dont mix well at all.

For any scratches that wont buff out get some 1500 grit sand paper, water and see if it`ll wet sand out. than 3000grit with a DA to blend heavy scratches. than use an extra cut compound and a high speed buffer and a white wool pad. Foam pads are just a waste of time when using compound. anything under 1500 rpm`s is a waste of time and ur serisously better off applying compound by hand. than take a black foam pad with 3M`s swirl remover and a high speed buffer.

We all now how much a pain in the *** swirls are (especially with a darker color or black car). And no matter how much u buff and polish and repeat u`ll always have a lil bit of a light swirl and it seems to go away till u wash it a few times than it`s swirls all over again. 3M just released there new product in `07 called Ultrafina and it`s new blue foam buffing pads. that`s supposed to be applied not more than 1800 rpm`s on a buffer and not to be buffed dry. since their stuff is oil based that`s how the Ultrafina works, being a lil wet still. trust me, the amount of detailing i`ve done i`ve never used a product that 100% takes out the swirls and even after washing the car numerous times not a single swirl came back. I checked out 3M`s website and i wasn`t able to find the Ultrafina but i didn`t look too long.

Ayway that`s just how i do my paint clean up, as for interior they`re stuffs good and but it doesnt really matter too much wat u use....as long as u keep it up ur vinyl/leather won`t crack or fade."

also, another kid was saying you can`t take out swirls with a foam pad, and that in order to remove swirls for longer than a couple weeks you need a wool pad.

wannafbody
03-19-2007, 04:40 PM
I highly doubt silicone will eat thru clearcoat-that sounds like total BS. As for never being able to fully remove every swirl-I somewhat agree. Some defects will always remain. IMO anyone who is willing to remove all defects risks the chance of removing too much clear. That`s OK if you are only going to keep a car a couple years.

imported_paradigm
03-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Foam pads are just a waste of time when using compound. anything under 1500 rpm`s is a waste of time and ur serisously better off applying compound by hand.

:soscared:

i`m no expert...but let`s see...rotary @ 1500 vs. by hand. hmmm. by hand...or rotary @ 1500. foam pads. hmmm.

not sure if that scares me as much as his misuse of the word "than" instead of "then". :grinno:

BlueZero
03-19-2007, 04:55 PM
meguires`s

Is that a cheaper generic version of Meguiar`s? lol

klumzypinoy
03-19-2007, 05:00 PM
I`m sure a lot of autopians could school him =P. WHere`d you find that?

GlossyTundra
03-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Yeah, this guy is a complete dope. It`s typical of what I see on the net all the time, the guy that knows it all and has been detailing for years that only uses xxx-line of products.

Pennypacker
03-19-2007, 05:04 PM
There are a lot of products discussed here that contain some level of silicone. I`m sure if it ate away at the clear, it would`ve been mentioned a long time ago.

He also seems to be contradicting himself because he states that "foam pads are just a waste of time when using compound," but then pushes a 3M foam pad. :nixweiss

Needless to say, the number of top-notch details shown on here using a variety of foam pads is endless.

Jo Donny
03-19-2007, 05:08 PM
I found it on my car lover`s group on facebook, haha.

if you think autopians could school him, read this comment from another kid i know who believes to know everything because he works at a mercedes dealership:

"i understand why u use the compound with the foam pad. it looks for a time that it removed the oxidation and scratches but take some citrus based cleaner and whipe the area down with it and u will see that u remove the Glaze that u just put over it and the mark is still ther. foam pads have no ability to go into the clear coat meaning they can only polish and swril remove. anything else needs a wool pad it u want it to last! trust me ive been doing this for 4 years and several dealerships. u guys have the right idea with the detailing u just need to learn a little more about paint finishes."

i was trying to explain to him that foam pads could take out swirls....he disagreed and believes only wool pads could.

Pennypacker
03-19-2007, 05:13 PM
That quote doesn`t make sense. How can it swirl remove without going into the clearcoat? The two go hand-in-hand.

the other pc
03-19-2007, 05:15 PM
Oh yeah, he’s right. Silicones in wax will totally eat through stuff. :scared:

Here’s what happens when a wax with silicone gets on your watch.

http://e-biscuit.com/images/uploads/dali_clock.jpg

Here’s a guys who was trying to apply a wax with silicone in it buy hand.

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/8356/toxicemil.jpg

PC.

imported_rydawg
03-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Everyone has opinions and options, and some peoples opinions are only limited to 1 or 2 options, cause that is all they have tried. Then they hear a friend talk bad about something and then they repeat the same to everyone else. Some is true and some is false.

3M is Not the best. I have found much better out there. Menzerna and Presta are the kings in my book and I have tried a lot in the past 10 years.

Some Ardex polishes have silicone.

You can take out deep swirls with the right foam pad. You need the right compound/polish like Menzerna and they will come out. Foam just takes longer than wool.

coupe
03-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Im seeing less and less people like this on the internet, but they still exsist.

These guys are hack jobers/washnwax jockeys/kids with a can of wax ect., they dont know anything about paint correction.

kleraudio
03-19-2007, 06:02 PM
That was hilarious PC!

Jim

imported_paradigm
03-19-2007, 06:37 PM
foam pads have no ability to go into the clear coat meaning they can only polish and swril remove.

sweet...if foam can`t "go into the clear coat" then we don`t have to worry about burning the paint with a foam pad and a rotary...EVAAARRRR!!!!!:rolleyes: :nana:

deathlok
03-19-2007, 06:50 PM
besides what he said 3M products are considered to be really good,