PDA

View Full Version : is this way of washing dangerous?

mtbr64
03-19-2007, 01:34 PM
im thinking of taking my car to my local car wash hosing it down. letting it dry in the sun and then going over it with ONR. or should i just use ONR directly? im very worried about getting swirls in the paint

imported_GregCavi
03-19-2007, 01:38 PM
I sometimes knock off big chunks with the coin-ops but I then hit them up with ONR or the equivalent as soon as possible. IMHO letting the car wash water dry on your paint will be asking for water spotting.

Greg

Pennypacker
03-19-2007, 01:39 PM
I would use ONR directly (I like it at double the dilution). Letting a wet car dry in the sun would not be a good approach. It`ll likely lead to tons of water spots.

docker
03-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Using a hose to get off as much dirt as possible is not a bad thing at all. However, it might be an overkill as ONR (and similiar other products) will do well on light to moderate dirt.

I have often done the same, but I do not let the water dry from the sun - water spots will result. Just ONR it after hosing down and you will be fine.

Be more concerned about the wash mitt or MF towels you use to `wash` and dry it than the water from the hose. Make sure you use a dual bucket system, and blot as much as possible instead of wiping across the surface.

DirtySouth
03-19-2007, 03:25 PM
yep, like otheres have mentioned, definitely don`t let the car-wash water dry. Try to follow up with ONR quickly after rinsing. Mainly just to prevent water-spotting.