PDA

View Full Version : Body shop put swirl marks in my NEW Blue Z

Can.U.Z.Me
03-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Can you get them completely out or should I sue the body shop?.

Thanks

Stephen

GlossyTundra
03-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Umm, yeah, you can get them out just fine with a little work. I would not worry about suing though, there are to many sue-happy people in this world and your addition will not be welcome. Just tell them what they did (they wont think anything is wrong) and ask for compensation for your time/materirals to remove them.

Can.U.Z.Me
03-19-2007, 10:25 PM
The body shop after putting the swirls in, hired a provite detailer around Tyson`s Corner. The car had more swirls in it then before. So the body shop set me up to go back to the guy to correct it. The guy said that on dark cars you will always see the swirling and that he will try to get out the swirls the best he can with a light buff on low rpms.

The first question is: How did they get into the paint in the beginning?

Answer: The body shop tech put them in there.

Isn`t a detailer suppose to get them out? What about show cars that are waxed? The body shop said that as soon as you wax it once or wash it once, the car will always get swirl marks. Isn`t that false? Sounds like he thinks I am an idiot.

imported_rydawg
03-19-2007, 10:36 PM
Body shops need training in detailing. They are clueless when it comes to a perfect finish.

All you need is a PC with a polish pad and a finish polish and these swirls will come out with ease.

brwill2005
03-20-2007, 07:06 AM
I am in Loudoun County. I sent you a PM.

audicoupej
03-20-2007, 06:32 PM
The body shop after putting the swirls in, hired a provite detailer around Tyson`s Corner. The car had more swirls in it then before. So the body shop set me up to go back to the guy to correct it. The guy said that on dark cars you will always see the swirling and that he will try to get out the swirls the best he can with a light buff on low rpms.

The first question is: How did they get into the paint in the beginning?

Answer: The body shop tech put them in there.

Isn`t a detailer suppose to get them out? What about show cars that are waxed? The body shop said that as soon as you wax it once or wash it once, the car will always get swirl marks. Isn`t that false? Sounds like he thinks I am an idiot.

Sorry to hear that. I`m sure Brad will make your electric blue Z shine swirl free.

The detailer did not know what he was doing if he cannot remove swirls. Unless they are very deep you can remove them. I work in the building right next to Moore Cadillac in Tysons contact me if you want me to look at the car to advise you.

Good luck.

velobard
03-20-2007, 09:53 PM
Body shops need training in detailing. They are clueless when it comes to a perfect finish.

All you need is a PC with a polish pad and a finish polish and these swirls will come out with ease.

Sometimes it takes more than a PC to get them out unless you`re willing to devote a considerable amount of time. That said, for awhile there I simply came to accept that one of the prices I had to learn to accept to having my car go in the body shop is that I`d have to buff out their swirls. The first time I picked up my current car from the body shop (there`s a long story to what kind of luck I`ve had with it), I picked up my wife from work that evening. She gave the car a critical look and said no one else polished it as well as I do. I was able to relax once I accepted that the body shop simply didn`t have the skills necessary to polish to my standards. Fortunately, I`ve since found a shop that does, but he`s accustomed to higher standards because he specializes in custom and show cars.

golfdude
03-20-2007, 10:13 PM
If Brad cannot help you, I am able to help you out as well. Please pm me with an e-mail address so that I can send you my pricing sheet if you are interested.

Thomas Dekany
03-21-2007, 10:29 PM
If Brad or xfire can`t help you I can :D

PS: I charge $50 per hour.

Thomas Dekany
03-21-2007, 10:42 PM
Can you get them completely out or should I sue the body shop?.

Thanks

Stephen

Just try getting your money back. What ever it will cost to get the car swirl free. However, after that it will be very hard to keep it swirl free if one doesn`t know how to maintain the paint correctly, but it is possible.

Example: washed weekly van - ours

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/tdekany/2007/Picture1155.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/tdekany/2007/Picture1147.jpg

imported_adec
04-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Sorry to hear about your Z. I would find your own detailer and give the bill to the shop. I do not know who they used to detail your car but not all "detailers" are the same. For example, there`s this guy who comes around my work offering to detail peoples cars. Each car takes him maybe 20 minutes and he does not use microfiber, let alone any quality waxes. Also, when my bro bought a brand new black lexus, I noticed a scratch in the hood. Well, I shouldn`t have mentioned it cause that scratch turned into a huge swirly mess after the shop "detailers" got done with it.

I too have a Z, a black one. I don`t have any swirls or webs but I am anal in how I detail my car. So swirls are avoidable. On a side note, the Z has a fairly soft paint. Sorry, if my description is wrong cause I`m not a paint expert. Fact is the paint chips VERY easily. If you don`t believe me go to any Z forum and do some research. I put a bra on my car about 1 week after buying the car and still had to touch up 3 stone chips on the hood and bumper before placing the bra.

good luck

by the way I live in tysons.

imported_Ivan Rajic
04-11-2007, 12:22 AM
I would also advise you to have it detailed by someone who knows what they`re doing, preferably an experienced guy from autopia... Then give the bill to the shop. Tell the shop that for an extra $50 from them, you can call the guy who detailed your car and made it swirl-free, have him wash it properly 10x in front of them, and then they`ll see that swirls don`t just pop up after a wash or 2...

My black BMW has been 99% swirl free for months now, even through winter... 3 coats of SG and proper weekly or 2 week washing...

granted I probably have a harder clear than the Z... either way, with a good sealant/wax and proper washing and re-waxing/sealing, swirls shouldn`t come back for a long long time

Brian_Brice
05-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Umm, yeah, you can get them out just fine with a little work. I would not worry about suing though, there are to many sue-happy people in this world and your addition will not be welcome. Just tell them what they did (they wont think anything is wrong) and ask for compensation for your time/materirals to remove them.

good answer brandon, how far away are you from henderson nc? we should organize a detail meet.