PDA

View Full Version : Leather Scrubbing!?

imported_AZ Ferrari Man
03-19-2007, 04:04 AM
Hey guys, I just watched the Pinnacle cleaning DVD`s and noticed something. The leather scrub brush that he uses and that is sold on Autogeek is soooo stiff I have one, I cant imagine that is good for the leather! I was wondering two things:

1. What do you use to agitate leather and vinyl, that needs a good cleaning? I use a bug sponge, it is soft, and foams the cleaner

2. What cleaner do you use? I use PB APC 10:1, or Zaino Z9 (a little exspensive) or Zymol Leather cleaner.

Just curious, lets see whats being used in the field!

Andrew

Ceezer
03-19-2007, 06:11 AM
I have a stiff brush, too. The sticker on it labels it as a hand & nail brush, but I bought it at autogeek. I don`t think it will adversely affect the condition of the leather but I think being so stiff makes it harder to work the cleaner. I found that a medium toothbrush was perfect but took entirely too long, due to the size of the head, and made my hand tire out.

brwill2005
03-19-2007, 07:29 AM
I use a MF towel either just damp with water or with Hi-Temp`s Leather Cleaner and conditioner. I have a horse hair brush, but I think the MF does a better job. I would stay away from APC because they usually are high ph.

EBPcivicsi
03-19-2007, 08:02 AM
APC without butyl cellusolve (autoint`s) + a magic eraser + steamer with a MF wrapped triangle attachment. Best results that I have seen--they look factory.

imported_Totoland Mach
03-19-2007, 09:05 AM
#1: APC diluted is ok, but a far safer product is liquid dishwashing (dawn, etc) diluted 10:1 with water for safety. Too strong on the APC and you can pull the leather dye right out of the seat.

#2: Boar`s hair brush. That`s the only brush I ever use on leather. Will not scratch or abrade the seating.

#3: Terry towel to remove your soapy solution from scrubbing. I typically scrub 1/3 of each seat area (starting from the top) and also use compressed air to remove water from seams and dry the scrubbed area.

On some BMW`s, I will apply Pinnacle Leather Conditioner to add oils back into the leather and give the car a nice smell.

Totoland Mach

imported_AZ Ferrari Man
03-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Right on guys, I was reading about Justins technique with the Black Wheel Schmitt, it looks to be a good tactic.

Totoland Mach: Is the Boars hair brush abrasive enough to really clean, or is it more like a cleaner spreader?

imported_Totoland Mach
03-19-2007, 04:05 PM
Right on guys, I was reading about Justins technique with the Black Wheel Schmitt, it looks to be a good tactic.

Totoland Mach: Is the Boars hair brush abrasive enough to really clean, or is it more like a cleaner spreader?

AZ Ferrari Man: The brush has plenty of scrubbing ability and does so without causing damage to the leather surface.

Toto

Envious Eric
03-19-2007, 04:05 PM
what is justins method?

and what brushes is everyone using? I have the megs interior brush, I dont like the ergonomics of it, but it does a pretty good job on those parts where a MF cant clean enough

imported_Grouse
03-19-2007, 04:27 PM
I use a product called leathermasters soft cleaner.

You spread it on a foam pad and massage it into a foam. then spread it onto the surface. give it a little bit of time to sit up. Then massage it out with a towel.. It does an excelent job of removing old conditioner, human oils and soils, light stains with out comprimizing the texture, feel, or protective layers.

danforz
03-20-2007, 01:36 PM
I have and use all of the following products depending on the need:

Meguiar`s APC (10:1 or a bit stronger) - works well on cleaning "every day" leather stains. Needs a bit of elbow greese to remove tougher ones, but still gets the job done. If a client doesn`t get a leather treatment, I just go with this.

Z9/Z10 - Good stuff, I LOVE the smell and feel of my leather afterwards. I only use it on my own car, and on high priced details.

CG Leather Cleaner / SmartLeather - The CG Leather Cleaner leaves my leather feeling tight and matte, and I like that. I use it for regular leather treatments. The Smartleather leaves a shiny gloss, which I find has a better effect on customers. I have yet to try it on my leather and plan on doing so this weekend.

As for the tool, I use a microfiber mitt to clean. One side for the cleaner, the other for the conditioner. Never tried any a brush on the interior.