PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent rock chips

Pages : [1] 2

dongoesby
03-18-2007, 04:54 AM
hi, I`ve heard there are sealant (not wax) or a sheld liquid that can proect paint from rock chips. Anybody got experiences on that? Is there any way to preventing rock chips other than puting on a protecting film in the front clip of the car that costs $400? Hope to get some answers soon. Thanks

Frank

velobard
03-18-2007, 05:46 AM
Nope, unfortunately that`s well beyond the capability of any sealant.

imported_steveo3002
03-18-2007, 06:18 AM
plastic film over the paint...or dont drive the car

rocks chips are gona happen...live with em

klnyc
03-18-2007, 08:15 AM
Yup, either live with it or pay the price. I did mine for 525.00.

kmayer
03-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Is there any way to preventing rock chips other than puting on a protecting film in the front clip of the car that costs $400?

Frank

The best way I know of is to just be smart. Don`t tailgate and avoid following behind trucks, jeeps, motorcycles, or any vehicle that has a lot of the rear tire exposed. The more rear tire you see, the greater the threat.

dongoesby
03-18-2007, 08:58 PM
thanks you guys, i`m taing Kmayer`s advise, and I`m thinking to go with paint protection film for now. :/

Hey, Moe!
03-18-2007, 11:05 PM
kmayer is right. If you follow closely, particularly during the winter months, you will get chips. There is just so much stuff on the road then, that it is "rock chip city."

I lay back a lot, and let the idiot drivers go on, and I still get some chips.

That`s how it is. I can always tell which drivers tailgate a lot. There`s no paint left on the front bumper, and the front part of the hood.

jimmie jam
03-19-2007, 09:13 AM
i just bought a $65000+ 07 corvette. spent $887 on full front and wheel lip/mirror protection (3M). :D if you want to protect YOU MUST NOT BE AFRAID TO SPEND :secret . there is no inexpensive solution, IMHO.

touchofdetail
03-19-2007, 09:21 AM
does labor on a clear bra act. cost 200 bux in labor?? on average?

your solution is really dont tailgate, dont drive the car , blue masking tape, or CLEAR BRA.

imported_bpfoley
03-19-2007, 09:43 AM
real cars have rock chips

porscheC4S
03-19-2007, 09:57 AM
I bought the clear bra for my car as well when I first bought it. I had it on my other Porsche when I bought it new as well. Best investment one can make. I got a break on both as the dealer charged me cost for the bra and some labor which worked out to be ~$350.

Accumulator
03-19-2007, 01:11 PM
bpfoley- Heh heh, yeah, my thoughts exactly :xyxthumbs

I`m content to accept the inevitable damage and get things painted (and windshields replaced) as needed. The chips in the windshield usually bother me a lot more than the chips in the paint.

Give some thought as to how the clear bra will look on your vehicle (and to each their own when it comes to deciding how it looks).

You folks who decide to get the clear-film protection, make sure the installer does good work. Somebody here had all sorts of trouble last year...the installer actually *cut* the paint in a few places and it ended up being a nightmare.

Kriminal
03-19-2007, 01:21 PM
real cars have rock chips

:lol :lol :bigups

....and real driver`s steer around the rocks :lol

04MC
03-19-2007, 01:46 PM
The best way I know of is to just be smart. Don`t tailgate and avoid following behind trucks, jeeps, motorcycles, or any vehicle that has a lot of the rear tire exposed. The more rear tire you see, the greater the threat.

:2thumbs:

I hate those clear bras ...

touchofdetail
03-19-2007, 02:07 PM
and y is that?