PDA

View Full Version : Rust Staining

Absolute Detail
03-18-2007, 01:57 AM
Good morning everyone

Perhaps not the right section to post but wanted the input off fellow pro detailers out there

I have some light rust staining to deal with I remember seeing a product on a US sight cant remember which one but if I remember corectly it kind of neutralised the rust at source has any one heard of such a product your help would be appreciated .

Im not looking to just polish the staining away I know that can be done this is for an area under a tailgate rubber where water has got trapped .

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jay

David Fermani
03-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Rust is like cancer. On vehicles, you have to remove it & the area partially around it. If you don`t, it will keep growing until it can be repaired. Sounds like a manufacturer engineering defect. Check with the dealership to see if it`s under warranty.

Absolute Detail
03-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Tell me about it its a mercedes van 5 months out of warranty im preparing to go to war with them 14000 miles allways kept detailed to the max as its my work vehicle im looking for plan B as some are just stains at present where water collects on the sliding doors.

Im aware its metal cancer

HenrikP
03-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Yeah, if you got rust stains on your paint forming, your actual car body is rusting somewhere unless you have a some nails or something that the rust stain is running off of. As far as I know you need to rub something in there whether it is a compound, cleaner, or solvent. If you wanted to use a product that got rid of the rust by just spraying it that product would most likely also damage your paint.

Accumulator
03-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Yeah, this calls for actual paint/body work.

I had initially thought you were asking about "rust blooms" from ferrous contamination. For that problem you could use a decontamination system like "ABC" from AutoInt.

But this is simply a case of a vehicle rusting out from too much moisture and not enough protection (i.e. paint). Frustrating, I know; I just had rust repair done on my otherwise immaculate minivan: some area where water sits must not`ve been properly painted/etc. at the factory..turns out to be a common problem on my vehicle.

Get it fixed right (proper disassembly, treatment, paint) and spray some kind of rust preventative on to keep it from happening again.

Absolute Detail
03-20-2007, 01:32 AM
I just got hrough drafting a letter to mercedes letting them know I feel this is of unmerchantable quality and a design fault 6 coats of wax allways kept in a detailed state 6 months out of warranty as you guys say Go Figure.

David Fermani
03-20-2007, 05:52 AM
I just got hrough drafting a letter to mercedes letting them know I feel this is of unmerchantable quality and a design fault 6 coats of wax allways kept in a detailed state 6 months out of warranty as you guys say Go Figure.

Good Luck!! My friend who owns a detail shop has a white 2003 S-Class and both 1/4`s, trunk and 1 fender are rusting and Mercedes won`t do anything fo him??

Accumulator
03-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Too bad about how things have slipped at Mercedes Benz...they used to be as good as you could get :(

The problem with rust issues is often that they can blow you off until you have actual perforation...but who wants to wait until there are *holes* in the vehicle?!? That`s what I hear Mazda is doing with the MPVs, glad I just went ahead and got mine fixed while it wasn`t a bid deal.