PDA

View Full Version : Hand polishing?

1Bad81Bu
03-17-2007, 08:14 PM
When doing your polishing around trim and such do you guys find it easier to polish by hand or tape everything off and use PC for the whole process? And there are some polishes and waxes that don`t hurt to get on the trim, am I correct? What are some of the most popular ones?

Accumulator
03-18-2007, 01:03 PM
I tape some trim, just avoid other trim, and polish right over *other* other trim :D All just depends...but generally IMO it pays to *not* abrade plastic trim and brightwork.

Very gentle abrasives probably won`t hurt anything, but the plating on some "plated plastic trim" is very thin and fragile. The clearn anodizing on Audis is especially fragile and shouldn`t be abrasively polished. Black textured trim can get white stains that are a royal PIA to remove.

Some products hardly ever cause problems (e.g. Klasse AIO, KSG, Collinite 845, Souveran). Some don`t cause problems very often (1z brand polishes don`t seem to stain black plastic trim very often and Collinite 476S paste was isn`t bad if you use it W-O-W-O). Some products are too abrasive for metallic trim IMO (H-T EC, other medium to strong abrasives) and some products stain black plastic trim something awful (Blitz wax IIRC and most cleaner-waxes).

I`ve generally learned by experience which of my products will cause problems. Just pick an inconspicuous area to test. Products that stain black trim do it a lot worse if they sit there until they dry completely, so wipe them off ASAP if they somehow get on such surfaces.