PDA

View Full Version : Non-slippery dressing for truck running boards?

detail-newb
03-16-2007, 03:00 AM
I`ve searched and also read a lot of threads here but haven`t really found an answer to my question.

I have a white 2007 Toyota Tacoma with the OEM plastic running boards, which have a textured finish. I want to put something on them so they`ll stay looking new. I want a flat or satin look, but more importantly I don`t want to make the running boards where they are slick so I won`t slide off them. :scared:

On a scrap similar piece of material I have experimented with 303 Aerospace Protectant, Meguiar`s #40, and Jeff`s Werkstatt Satin Prot. I got similar results out of all three, a decent satin look, but the surface was slicker than without the products. Perhaps I didn`t get all the excess off as if I rubbed a finger on it I could feel a residue on my hand, but I rubbed the plastic thoroughly with a dry towel. After a few days of time to dry I took a damp rag and wiped the surface off. This seemed to get rid of the slickness but I`m not sure that it didn`t just remove the products entirely.

Based on what I`ve read here, other products I thought might work include Meguiar`s Hyper Dressing, Poorboy`s Natural Look or Trim Restorer, the Optimum, or the Duragloss products. Many products claim to not leave any slippery residue yet most still don`t recommend use on things like steering wheels because they do leave it.

I know the trim dye products would work, but I don`t want to do that as the vehicle is new; I just want it to stay looking that way. I don`t mind something that washes off with rain as I can reapply as necessary.

I`ve had the truck about four months and haven`t had time to detail it yet (Autopia heresy no doubt ;) ) but based on reading here I just got some Jeff`s Prime and AJ and will be doing that very soon.

n2_space
03-16-2007, 11:28 AM
The Ultima stuff should fit the bill. My wifes Explorer has those hard plastic running boards. After applying and buffing it out (especially later), it was no where near as slippery as other products, and looks great too.

imported_Blake
03-16-2007, 11:40 AM
That is a tough bill to fill. I can eliminate Poorboy`s Trim Restorer from your list if you are considering stepping on it and not wanting it to be slippery. It works great at restoring the shine and luster to grained black rubber or plastic but it is slippery and would be very slippery if it got a wet shoe on it. I think most protectants will be slippery and you need a good rubber or vinyl cleaner.

budman3
03-16-2007, 12:09 PM
Poorboys Bold n Bright will be perfect for you. When it dries you can`t even feel that there is a dressing there but it will look like it :).