PDA

View Full Version : I`m getting leery of Optimum Polish--should I be?

Pages : [1] 2

Hey, Moe!
03-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Last year (my "rookie season" on Autopia), I used SSR 2.5 and 1 on my and my girlfriend`s vehicles. I was OK with the results, but as many, I wonder what else it out there.

I was considering getting either the Optimum line (compound and polish), or the Menzerna line (Intensive Polish and Final Polish) for my dark gray metallic Ford (non-ceramiclear) paint.

The recent posts about Optimum have me concerned. It seems to take an awful long time to break it down, and the comments of those with likely more experience than I have me concerned. I don`t mind spending time on my vehicles, but I have visions of all-day polishing, even though my car is rather swirl-free.

I will be using a PC, and have Sonus DAS pads, though I am willing to get a few others.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

mose
03-15-2007, 06:11 PM
I have used both SSR2.2, 2 and 1 as well as OP. I like OP but have recently learned that I am using way too much product. I was having problems with the polish taking way too long to break down and come to find out it was because of the amount of product I was using. I tried using less product and it seemed to work a lot better.

The really liked the way SSR worked but found it to be too "dusty". Any thoughts or comments on that?

ga_se2005
03-15-2007, 06:29 PM
hey moe I know the feeling, i too am also getting weary of optimum after recent discussions. I planned on purchasing a PC with some optimum polishes and compounds over the summer but now i`m not so sure what to do

Bigpoppa3346
03-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Try using less product with Optimum if it is taking too long to break down. I really don`t get what people say when there is a "learning curve". I figured out how to use it after the first panel. It doesn`t take *that* long to break down, rather, you can work it longer after the abrasives have done their work to remove more defects without adding more product(the pad provides the cut at this point). Works as a mild polish on well maintained paint, or you can use it with a light cutting or cutting pad and have it be an effective medium swirl remover.

Imatk
03-15-2007, 07:24 PM
I used it as well... first time... worked beautifully :)

sevenrd
03-15-2007, 08:10 PM
I used to use the SSR line quite a bit, but once I tried OP I was sold. I`ve since purchased and used OC and OHC and haven`t had any issues with any of the Optimum line not breaking down.

That said, the only one I`ve used via PC is OP. I`ve only used OC and OHC with the rotary.

Oreilly907
03-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Optimum is all that I use unless I have an odd problem. I agree with the "less product" statements but I wouldn`t say that there is any "learning curve" to it. Easiest product line I`ve ever used. .02 Good luck.

imported_Bence
03-15-2007, 08:29 PM
...It seems to take an awful long time to break it down, and the comments of those with likely more experience than I have me concerned. I don`t mind spending time on my vehicles, but I have visions of all-day polishing...

TOTALLY false perception. Optimum works and breaks down rather quickly, but it has a long working time. Two totally different things. However you have to use the right amounts (read: VERY little), otherwise the powder practically can`t reach (mechanically) the paint surface and - surprise! - doesn`t breaks down. I think you want a well-lubricated whisper thin film under your pad where the abrasives are working on the finish beautifully & effectively, not overdrowned powder particles floating suspended in thick liquid buffing film...

The good option with any Optimum polish is that you CAN work longer with them, and not because you have to.

bxtreme
03-15-2007, 08:38 PM
What do u guys spray on the pad before adding OP or Poli-Seal?

imported_Bence
03-15-2007, 08:40 PM
Nothing. Just a bit more product for priming.

Setec Astronomy
03-15-2007, 09:23 PM
I agree that you shouldn`t be swayed by a few negative threads, there is plenty of success out there with Optimum. I only used it on one car but I used all 3 grades and it was fine. Looking forward to using it some more in the spring (not that I don`t have a ton of other polishes, too).

kleraudio
03-15-2007, 09:53 PM
should you prime your pads when using OP, i know your not supposed to with Poorboys SSR line.

Jim

twitch
03-15-2007, 09:55 PM
I don`t think that you will be dissapointed with the Optimum line. The polishes are very user friendly and don`t dust at all.

You don`t realize how big of a deal the lack of dust is until you use a polish that doesn`t do it. ;)

Setec Astronomy
03-15-2007, 10:14 PM
You don`t realize how big of a deal the lack of dust is until you use a polish that doesn`t do it. ;)

What he said :werd:

firegate
03-15-2007, 10:24 PM
should you prime your pads when using OP, i know your not supposed to with Poorboys SSR line.

Jim

I generally prime the pad with a circle around 1" in from the edge on a 6" pad, on a 2x2 area. After that, you need very little polish - maybe a little less than a dime per panel.