PDA

View Full Version : Weird Cloudy / Haziness New Paint

Imatk
03-15-2007, 11:10 AM
So I have a strange problem.

I got my car repainted and noticed that on the roof, on the driver`s side, the paint looks very cloudy and hazy.

It almost looks like someone took tape and sectioned off the drivers side and did something to it because right down the middle of the roof you can see a line where the other side looks perfect... no hazing at all.

Now what`s interesting is I just got a hood painted by the same shop (different car) and noticed the same type of hazing, but only around the sharper edges of the hood lines.

I`m assuming that they buffed the thing but didn`t buff it very much on the hood lines because the paint is thinner there.

The hazing is only noticeable by looking at it under the halogens or at certain angles.

I used my PC and the harshest I got was Optimum Compound and an orange light cutting pad. But it didn`t seem to make ANY difference on the roof. I didn`t do anything to the hood of the other car yet.

Should I step up to a more agressive pad or just leave well enough alone?

I figured some of you guys would have run into this and would know how to fix it.

Thanks.

jtford95
03-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Take it back to the paint shop and have them fix it.

Imatk
03-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Well I really don`t want to do that if possible. They are about 70 miles from me and the last time they "buffed" my car it had so many swirl marks I almost threw up.

Grimm
03-15-2007, 12:57 PM
What part of the car was repainted? It could be the situation I have with mine. They repainted the hood, and I took it back a second time to blend the fenders. After the first time in, I found that the corner of the front bumper had a slight haze to it. After feeling it, I realized they must have gotten overspray of the clearcoat on the bumper. I didn`t want them swirling it up, so I just plan to take care of it when I polish.

Imatk
03-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Anyone...:nixweiss

Grimm
03-15-2007, 05:35 PM
It`s not clear coat overspray is it? I would assume since you polished that it isn`t.

Imatk
03-15-2007, 05:39 PM
No it feels very slick it`s just kind of cloudy / hazy looking from an angle.

Imatk
03-16-2007, 12:12 PM
Anyone... anyone.... Beuller... Beuller...

getright
03-17-2007, 02:41 PM
I am by no means a pro so I will spout some cliches for you, I think it would be beneficial to step up to a more aggressive pad if you saw no result with the orange pad if it is LC pads than use a yellow pad, if it is edge than step up to the green pad. Make sure you work the product in until it is translucent. It is harder to polish on angles so that also may be contributing to your problem. I assume you didn`t try using a polishing pal or some other hand polishing aparatus but you might want to consider using a compound by hand in an inconspicuous spot displaying said defect. I am not a body shop guy either but if you can not clean it up with typical polish steps than you might have a paint problem in which case you`ll have to bring it back to the shop. Have you considered finding a pro from here in your area to take a look or a stab at it?