PDA

View Full Version : Settings on a Canon A620?

Pages : [1] 2

Evenflow
03-15-2007, 01:55 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v124/pmdemas/A620.jpg

First off, dont mind the dirty car. But I know there is more that this camera can do to bring out depth/clarity within the settings. Can anyone explain how to tweak the settings to get the best possible image out of this camera?

LastDetail
03-15-2007, 04:52 AM
+1 I have the same camera and would love some tips on how to take better pictures.

CleanGSR
03-16-2007, 10:59 AM
I use auto settings a lot and get great pictures. Here`s some I just took last week with auto settings. The aperature priority is really cool for macro shots, and the shutter speed works great to help get the right look with low lightings.

This first one would have been a ton better if I had used a tripod

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c298/B16Vtec/cars/Integra/SmallIntegra61-2.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c298/B16Vtec/cars/Integra/SmallIntegra58-2.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c298/B16Vtec/cars/DelSol3small.jpg

Also get a tripod and it will work better. I always turn flash off too when taking pics of the car. Flash screws stuff up on car pics IMO. Get good lighting, kick it on auto and turn off the flash and it will work awesome.

Grimm
03-16-2007, 12:12 PM
Sorry guys, but it`s not that simple. You can get nice pictures on auto, but to get the best you have to learn about aperture and shutter speed. I`m in that process myself. It`s just like detailing where you may need a different process or product for different cars. Taking pictures the settings needed depend on the subject, lighting, etc. There is a book I`ve heard is very good, Understanding Exposure. I forget the author`s name though.

BlueZero
03-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Sorry guys, but it`s not that simple. You can get nice pictures on auto, but to get the best you have to learn about aperture and shutter speed. I`m in that process myself. It`s just like detailing where you may need a different process or product for different cars. Taking pictures the settings needed depend on the subject, lighting, etc. There is a book I`ve heard is very good, Understanding Exposure. I forget the author`s name though.

I agree 100%. I`ve been doing photography for about 10 years. Taken some classes and done some pro work also. There is no "easy" solution. Play around with the camera and all the settings. It doesn`t cost you anything to take pictures. When you see photos in magazines, it`s as much about processing (photoshop) as it is about taking the photo. So don`t get discouraged. One easy tip is get a tripod. Good luck!

imported_GregCavi
03-16-2007, 01:13 PM
First off, a tripod is a MUST.

Play with these:

ISO 50

AWB

DRIVE MODE

Effect (if you have it) Vivid

Superfine resolution

That`s typically what I shoot at and it takes very accurate pictures.

Greg

Evenflow
03-16-2007, 01:26 PM
First off, a tripod is a MUST.

Play with these:

ISO 50

AWB

DRIVE MODE

Effect (if you have it) Vivid

Superfine resolution

That`s typically what I shoot at and it takes very accurate pictures.

Greg

Hmm is there a guide online for helping to learn these?

Thanks for all the info everyone

paul34
03-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Also, I *think* its not a good idea to have such a brightly lit background like that. The best day of photos (of most types) is cloudy days because of the very even, shadow-free lighting

Also, I`d experiment with zoom - standing as far away as possible, then zooming in. Sometimes, I`ve found this can do wonders on point-and-shoot cameras.

And yes, if you don`t have a tripod, forget it! :D. Naa, invest in a good tripod... you`ll thank yourself soon enough ;)

twitch
03-16-2007, 01:47 PM
I use a Canon A620 as well. It`s a good camera and you can manually adjust most if not all of the settings.

I haven`t played with the settings much though when taking daylight pictures of detailed vehicles. I`ve changed them most of the time to try to capture low lighting shots.

As BlueZero mentioned, it`s free. Just start messing with the manual settings and see what happens. I`ll have to remember to do this next time. ;)

IBStoney1
03-16-2007, 02:42 PM
I have the same camera and I love it!!!

I still have my SLR film camera with a speed winder, zoom lens and extra doublers for reaching out and touching someone or something at least a quarter of a mile away that I learned on by taking sports, parade, civic, and racing shots for my local newspaper, chamber of commerce and city hall. I have worn out two Canon camera bodies after 30 years use.

It has no automatic aperture settings so I learned on my own taking all sorts of near and far photos learning what the camera and film types/settings could do for me. Did this for a couple years then I moved on.

The 620 can take some remarkable shots on auto but please play around with all the setting variables the 620 has and read the manual because it is a great place to start and learn what this little baby can do. Unlike print film with digital the results are right now and there is no film processing costs.

Always carry extra batteries. The 620 uses AA batteries which were on the top of my list for convenience as every store carries this size battery.

Purchase an extra memory chip and carry it also. Learn how to use the movie option this camera has.

Practice, Practice and then Practice some more so it all becomes a reflex movement not a thinking movement to take THE shot. :2thumbs:

Happy shooting

Al

IBStoney1
03-16-2007, 04:04 PM
I am willing to do a couple of write ups on the camera process and what we need to learn or needs refreshing if you want so you can practice.

I am not a know it all by a long shot but I know what works for me and it just might work for you.

I am still learning what the Canon PowerShot A620 can do for me. I researched cameras because I needed digital for my web site and I also researched online digital hosting sites to give you the reader my background here.

I am very confident that in our audience we have some pro shooters who could baby step us through a particular setup and process for….taking shots.

If you do not have an A620 do not despair as most of the digitals on the market are very similar so you can learn right along with us.

Here we go.

Where is your camera right now…do you know for sure?

Are the batteries OK or ready to die about 50 shots into shooting?

Do you have the camera on the seat when in the car?

Is it set on auto?

Always stash the camera in the glove box, under the seat or in the trunk. Why let some yahoo break into your car and steal the camera. Return camera inside when done with driving.

Take shots of a stationery object in the house with the flash on and off using the view screen. Now take a similar number of shots at this object using just the camera viewer with the view screen closed. Notice the extra background that’s covered with view screen.

How long did your batteries work before failure?

Take pictures until the icon shows up to inform you that the batteries need changing.

What icon shows up and where on the screen when the bartteries are close to giving out?

Practice turning the camera on and off. How long does it take?

Practice turning on and off the flash setting.

You want to be good enough to do both without looking at the camera. It is all by feel and reflex muscle memory.

When you have to shoot FAST…like an OMG moment forget about the view screen or the camera viewer, practice for reflex motion shooting from the hip, moving left to right. Just shoot until that object is right where you want it in the picture without any focus being used. Yes you are guessing but would you rather have that OMG moment or not. That moment is over in a flash when you don’t have the luxury of anticipating the shot and you just have to shoot.

Al

BlueZero
03-16-2007, 04:22 PM
Where is your camera right now…do you know for sure?

Are the batteries OK or ready to die about 50 shots into shooting?

That just reminded me of what one of my photography teachers used to say was the first rule of photography. "Have your camera with you and ready to shoot."

avwh
03-16-2007, 07:48 PM

The full title is: "Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera" (Updated Edition) - by Bryan Peterson.

I just ordered it today - available very cheaply in paperback at Amazon. Between all the great cars` "before and after" shots on these forums and the Tour of California cycling races last month, I`ve gotten the "bug" again to get serious about digital photography.

Evenflow
03-16-2007, 09:40 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v124/pmdemas/flash.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v124/pmdemas/noneflash.jpg

Heres one I took w/flash and w/o flash. How come everything without the flash looks blurry? Anything else I should try? I look at the settings but dont know what any of that stuff means.

JaCkaL829
03-16-2007, 10:48 PM
I don`t really see it `blurry` just a little darker then the one with flash. What settings did you use for both pictures? The flash might have helped the AF better then without since it`s pretty dimly lit.

I have read Understanding Exposure and it`s a great book. Theres a lot to photography, and I`d suggest anyone into or looking to getting into to read up on it. If you have a camera, get to known all the functions and settings instead of leaving it on AUTO. Unfortunately you don`t have as much control over the exposure on a P+S then you do with a SLR/dSLR.

Below are two great links for tutuorials on understanding manual functions and photography basics.

[ C A M E R A S I N T E R A C T I V E ] (http://www.camerasinteractive.com/index.php#)

morguefile.com Classroom (http://www.morguefile.com/archive/classroom.php)

For some quick tips, mine are:

-Learn to shoot with a tripod

-Shoot with the lowest ISO

-Try to plan your shot taking into consideration the lighting

-Stay away from AUTO, Aperture priority is a better alternative since it gives you more control but still automatically adjusted the shutter speed for the correct exposure.