PDA

View Full Version : Lug Nut Cleaner

Pages : [1] 2 3

Idrops
03-14-2007, 11:04 PM
Is there a devise to clean the tiny space between the wheels and the lug nuts where all the dirt collects. It is impossible to get my fingers in there, yet it collects and shows a lot of dirt. There must be a cylindrical foam pad or something out there. Please don`t tell me to use a Q tip.

BigJimZ28
03-14-2007, 11:09 PM
yes a brush!

Amazon.com: Lug Nut Brush: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Carrand-Lug-Nut-Brush/dp/B0009VIPYI)

Idrops
03-14-2007, 11:14 PM
That brush won`t fit. Too big.

BigJimZ28
03-14-2007, 11:17 PM
ok how about a foam paint brush?

that should do the trick and they are diry cheap!

Setec Astronomy
03-14-2007, 11:28 PM
How about a Q-Tip...oops...you told us not to tell you that...ok, how about some detailing swabs? Detail Swabs (http://www.topoftheline.com/auto-detail-swabs.html)

IBStoney1
03-15-2007, 12:00 AM
Go to the grocery store and check in the household section for the basting type brushes, I found and use on the lugs. Two brushes per pack about 10 inches long and ¼ inch width, round shape. The bristles are plastic/nylon and two inches long so I can squeeze the bristles right into those dirt holding crevices.

Al

BigAl3
03-15-2007, 01:39 AM
i use this on my sisters tsx, and the bristles do a good job getting in there... http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1941_3113062

n2_space
03-15-2007, 08:48 AM
They make lug nut brushes.... I have seen them at Pep Boys and Advanced Auto :) I have a couple

Setec Astronomy
03-15-2007, 08:51 AM
A link was posted to one of those above; the OP says it won`t fit.

Eliot Ness
03-15-2007, 09:26 AM
That brush won`t fit. Too big.Have you tried that brush? It slips over/around the lug nuts so it isn`t as big as you might think. As I think about it, if that brush won`t fit you`d have problems getting an air socket on those lugs to remove them. The brush is pretty cheap and it comes in very handy, I think I bought mine at a Wal-Mart or K-Mart.

The only other thing I can think of are the detailing swabs that Setec linked to or the Foam on a Stick (http://store.danase.com/foonstbylaco.html) that Danase sells. I`ve used them in some pretty tight spots around lug nuts before.

BigJimZ28
03-15-2007, 10:51 AM
if that brush won`t fit you`d have problems getting an air socket on those lugs to remove them.

very good point!

I should have know that:rolleyes:

Accumulator
03-15-2007, 11:42 AM
I have wheels where those "lug nut brushes" absolutely don`t fit (I`ve tried a few of them). And those plastic bristles aren`t soft enough for some of my nicer wheels, not by a long shot.

Airwrench/impact sockets :eek: Not on *my* wheels! Yeah, the fit with my plastic-coated sockets is very tight and I can imagine some thick-walled sockets not fitting a lot of wheels. heh heh, probably a good thing ;)

OK, enough ranting about what I don`t/can`t use, here`s what I *do* recommend:

I use the round BHB in Griot`s small BHB kit (pn 15520 IIRC, but that`s from memory). I sometimes also use swabs, but most of the time that brush does the trick. It`s too big for recessed valvestems though, for those I *have* to use swabs.

I like the foam-on-a-stick things, go through a lot of `em (they don`t last long) but those are too big for this application too. Good for brakes though, fitting between the brakeline and the caliper housing and around the bleeder screw.

Jesstzn
03-15-2007, 11:44 AM
With mine I wrap an old cheapie M/F around a popcicle stick, dip it in the car wash soap and do a lap around the nut every few washes.

DirtySouth
03-15-2007, 11:52 AM
I don`t really see a point in buying a brush just to clean the tiny spaces between the lug nuts. I would just use your fingers and a good rag.

BobD
03-15-2007, 12:27 PM
I don`t really see a point in buying a brush just to clean the tiny spaces between the lug nuts. I would just use your fingers and a good rag.

There is no way of getting your fingers in most of the "tuner" style wheels and lugs.