PDA

View Full Version : Scratch removal without hazing?

ptaylor_9849
03-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Here`s my dilemma. I`ve got an 05 black vette with some scratches on the hood. Nothing you can grab with your fingernail. I have tried 106ff/yellow pad and P/C speed 6. This is making the surface glossy but not touching the scratches. Next I tried Presta Ultra Cutting Creme Light and even with a white polishing pad, it is hazing like crazy. In fact, it`s turning the paint from black to light gray it`s hazing that badly. After two passes with Presta and a yellow CCS pad, the scratches are pretty much gone. However, then it takes 6 additional passes with the 106ff and orange pad to restore the gloss and I`m not even sure I`m able to get the gloss back to where it was before I started this mess. My question is this, is it possible to remove scratches on black GM paint without all this hazing & dulling or is this just part of the process? It`s like I`m taking 2 steps forward and six steps back.

Patrick

Accumulator
03-15-2007, 12:25 PM
IMO it`s just the way it goes when you`re doing this stuff by PC (much less so by rotary). What you`re describing sounds fairly normal, but I`d do a few passes with the 106ff and a milder pad to get the finest end-result finish.

Yeah, it *is* a x steps forward y steps back sort of process. `vette clear is hard and it sounds like you`re actually doing OK with it and that`s saying something, so :xyxthumbs Heh heh, [insert lecture on wash techniques/etc. here] once you get it nice, hope it stays that way.