PDA

View Full Version : When has your stuff had it?

kleraudio
03-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Hey everyone, just wondering a few things.

When is it time to throw away your:

1) PC pads

2) Wash Mitts

3)Applicators

4) MF towels

and get new ones?

When have they "had it"?

Jim

Accumulator
03-14-2007, 05:27 PM
1) PC pads

When cutting pads lose their cut; when any pad develops velcro issues or loses big chunks of foam.

2) Wash Mitts

When they start looking threadbare, or pick up contamination that won`t clean off or otherwise won`t pass the CD-test.

3)Applicators

When they get too stained or the foam appears to be compromised.

4) MF towels

When the nap wears down, or they get so stained that I can`t stand looking at them or won`t pass a CD-test.

5) BHBs

When they lose too many bristles or won`t pass the CD-test.

And/or I retire stuff when I find something that I like a lot better ;)

kleraudio
03-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Accumulator, thanks for the help lately! Hey how hard are you rubbing the cd`s when doing the cd test??

Approximately how many cars does it take for a cutting pad to lose its "cut"? I know there are many variables but just a rough approximation...

Thanks again!

Jim

Accumulator
03-14-2007, 05:55 PM
how hard are you rubbing the cd`s when doing the cd test??

I try to approximate the pressure that`ll be applied during "normal use" but note the scare-quotes..I`d rather err on the side of caution but a lot of stuff will mar (some) CDs if you rub really hard.

Most important thing IMO is to try to simulate the acutal use- wet with wash solution for wash media, etc.

Approximately how many cars does it take for a cutting pad to lose its "cut"? I know there are many variables but just a rough approximation...

Oh gee, I dunno if I can even offer a rough approximation. The Cyclo yellow pads seem to lose cut *very* quickly, I`ve replaced them after one job (well, it was a Suburban where I only did the very worst work by rotary first). Most of the time my cutting pads lose a chunk of foam and I replace them then. It`s those Cyclo yellow pads that impressed me as being so short-lived. If it happens you`ll notice it; your supposedly very aggressive work just won`t be taking off the paint/clear the way you want/expect.

velobard
03-14-2007, 08:14 PM
When is it time to throw away your:

1) PC pads

>I pitch pads when the velcro backing starts to come loose or the foam starts to break down.

2) Wash Mitts

>I`ve had to toss two wash mitts this week (not a normal event for me). One of them had tears in the leather and the other started having clumps of wool come out. It`s rare that I have to throw out mitts. Oh yeah, I`ve pitched one before when junk got stuck in the wool and I couldn`t get it all out.

3)Applicators

>When the product won`t all come out or they get damaged from snagging on trim or something.

4) MF towels

>The most common reason I throw away MFs is that I`ve allowed junk to contaminate the towel from carelessness. I`ll drop a towel on the ground or something and dirt or something will imbed into the fibers. If I can`t get it all out, it goes in the trash.