PDA

View Full Version : Pitted BMW Wheels

silvergray
03-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Hi guys,

We just picked up a BMW X5 a few weeks ago. Its in great shape, with the exception of the wheels. Its pretty obvious the previous owner ran it through carwashes, judging by the build-up of brake dust inside the wheels.

The dealership used an acid-based wheel cleaner, and they look much better. However, in the more intricate areas of the wheel, the dust actually pitted into the clear. (Pics available upon request)

I searched the archives, and came up with pretty old posts. Maybe somebody can shed some light on removing this imbedded break dust? Or how much refinishing should cost?

Thanks for your help!

BigJimZ28
03-13-2007, 09:39 PM
did you try clay?

or a magic eraser?

silvergray
03-13-2007, 10:14 PM
Haha, I probably should have included that! I`ve used Zaino clay, multiple wheel cleaners, Stoner`s Tarminator, etc. Nothing worked.

The Tarminator actually ate the clay and made a big streaky mess!

_Toast_
03-13-2007, 10:29 PM
clearcoat right? have you tried polish?

silvergray
03-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Yea, they`re clearcoated. I`d polish, but the pitting is in such an odd place, it would be difficult.

http://www.bmwwheels.com/images/ecomm/vs130.jpg

The pitting is in the corner of the spokes (If that makes any sense??)

imported_Yal
03-14-2007, 09:27 AM
It won`t come off. Trust me I own a Mercedes and my family has owned one since the early `81. German brake dust is hell on the wheels. The wheels get hot and the dust bakes into the paint if left on especially in the corners and deep angles of the wheel. You can probably do a 70% correction with cleaning solutions and some serious scrubbing with the wheels off, but once the paint is pitted the dust has settled into the pits and grooves and its near impossible to get in them and clean them out without removing the clearcoat and a few layers of paint.

Your choices are to have them repainted and clearcoated, OR you can have them bead blasted and polished to sheen without painting, OR get new wheels :(

Once you have them new again you can look for aftermarket brake pads that give of dust that is less corrosive. Or clean often!

If you want to try correcting further you could take the wheels of and use a dremel with a polishing tip. Intricate work but it may be worth it for you.

Accumulator
03-14-2007, 10:45 AM
What YAL said :xyxthumbs

Call a few places about having them refinished, it shouldn`t cost all that much. My painter redid a set of spare "driver use" wheels for my Jag. He spent 50 hours getting them good enough for me (concours/perfect) but he felt guilty about that so he charged me for 30 hours. So take the range of 30-50 hours and multiply by a shop`s hourly rate and you oughta have a decent estimate.

You could always get `em beadblasted and refinish them yourself with Wurth brand wheel paint. That paint is unusually user-friendly.

HenrikP
07-03-2007, 05:23 PM
I have the same problem with a BMW X5. I scrubbed the wheels with EO AW&TC 3 times and the front wheels are still caked with brake dust.

OCKlasse
07-03-2007, 05:43 PM
0000 steel wool?

silvergray
07-04-2007, 01:06 AM
Haha I didn`t expect to see this thread again.

I`m actually taking the X5 in for service soon and I`m going to discuss this with my service advisor. I`ve heard of cases where BMW will warranty an entire new set of wheels!

Wish me luck!

Accumulator
07-04-2007, 12:17 PM
silvergary- Heh heh, IMO you`ll need more than luck to get them to replace the wheels on a previously-titled vehicle, but it never hurts to try :D Let us know what you end up doing.