PDA

View Full Version : Pricing A Motorcycle Detal?

Detailin' Willy
03-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Hello all. Hope I am posting my question in the right spot. Haven`t seen many guys detailing motorcycles here, hence "Autopia"...... autos. However, with all the PROS here, wondering if anyone has done bikes before. I`ve got a customer with a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500, black from what I remember. In all my years, I have never ever detailed a bike. Just curious how the Pro Guys here would quote a bike? My customer stated it is pretty clean, just some road grime and dusty in all the hard to get spots. Maybe quote an hourly rate? Dunno, just looking for some input. Thanks!!

imported_JoshVette
03-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Hello all. Hope I am posting my question in the right spot. Haven`t seen many guys detailing motorcycles here, hence "Autopia"...... autos. However, with all the PROS here, wondering if anyone has done bikes before. I`ve got a customer with a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500, black from what I remember. In all my years, I have never ever detailed a bike. Just curious how the Pro Guys here would quote a bike? My customer stated it is pretty clean, just some road grime and dusty in all the hard to get spots. Maybe quote an hourly rate? Dunno, just looking for some input. Thanks!!

See how many hours it takes you and then charge accordingly.

I charge about $50 for a wash and wax job.

Wetwerks
03-13-2007, 03:21 PM
I agree with JoshVette. We charge a flat $50 per hr, then it goes up depending on accessories, chrome, polished aluminum..etc. Never quote it until you see it. We usually end up running long on a motorcycle, there are a ton of nooks and crannies that need to be cleaned out. Be sure to have a decent amount of metal/chrome polish on hand! We have done a few bikes, plus I`ve owned 7 of them over the last 10 years. Here are a few things to consider if you have never done one.

1. 98% of the work will be done by hand

2. whatever timeframe you think of...add at least another hour to it

3. if the owner wears a helmet we usually clean and wax that for them too at no addition charge.

4. if they wear leathers, you can upsale a leather cleaning (treat it the same way you would auto leather, most of the time it just needs to be conditioned).

5. be sure to have plenty of metal/chrome polish

6. if you use the standard hose method to wash, a leaf blower or air compressor are a must

7. never ever use tire dressing on the tires

ummm that all I can think of right now. If anyone can add to the list please do!

On a side note, as soon as the weather clears here (rain rain rain) we are going to clean up my uncles new Ducati 1098S and his MV Agusta Brutale. I`ll be sure to get pics.

Walter

Co-owner

Detailin' Willy
03-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Great info WetWerks, appreciate it! I am gonna check this bike out next week sometime and go from there. Started to quote an hourly rate but then backed out of the idea :up. I`ll have to pick up some aluminum and chrome cleaner/polish too. Doubt I can charge the $50 an hour you suggested, maybe I`ll throw $30 an hour at him. We shall see, for now...... great info and tips!

Scottwax
03-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Plan on at least 2 hours on even a clean and well cared for bike. Harleys usually have to be stripped down too, especially Road Kinds. Saddle bags, windshields, etc all need to come off. Plus, you have to move the bike back and forth several times to get the wheels, rear sprocket, etc clean. My bike details start at $85 and go up from there.

I`d suggest purchasing some S100 Total Cycle Cleaner (any Harley dealer should have it), it will be your best friend in really getting the bike clean.

Detailin' Willy
03-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the input Scott. I have been lurking for months and admire your work GREATLY. I`ll hit one of the bike shops around here and see about this S100 stuff. Dunno if I`ll end up doing this bike or not but want to be ready. He may just want it washed, dried and maybe wax the tank, fenders and stuff. We`ll see.

Thanks again!!!!

3Dog
03-14-2007, 12:53 AM
We start at 125.00...most details are 250.00.

We machine polish all paint. IMO I would stay away from chrome polishes and stick with the mildest polish you have, IF the chrome needs polishing. Defects in chrome are hard to remove and normally Polishing Soap will do fine.

Fenders and side covers usually survive well on a bike. The gas tank is another animal all together. Its hard to find a tank that hasnt had jeans rubbed against it. That will have to be polished.

We are a little "detailed" on our wash and that normally takes 2.5 hours in itself.