PDA

View Full Version : Stumped: Tire stains on leather.

imported_Picus
03-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Hey guys, I cleaned a mini cooper-s this weekend and it came out really well except for one thing. The previous owner had put some tires in the car and there were stains from the tires on the leather; you could see the treads of the tires. The stains were brownish on the black leather, so I sort of guessed that he may have had a silicone dressing on them and they stained the leather.

In any event, I tried some APC, some woolite and water, Leatherique Pristine Clean and Zaino Z9 with varying degrees of brushes and nothing touched the stains, they didn`t get better at all. I then tried leatherique rejuvinator oil as some have mentioned it helps remove deep embedded dirt and grime; nothing.

I thought of maybe trying a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

Any ideas?

Thanks fellas.

BMW335i
03-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Hey guys, I cleaned a mini cooper-s this weekend and it came out really well except for one thing. The previous owner had put some tires in the car and there were stains from the tires on the leather; you could see the treads of the tires. The stains were brownish on the black leather, so I sort of guessed that he may have had a silicone dressing on them and they stained the leather.

In any event, I tried some APC, some woolite and water, Leatherique Pristine Clean and Zaino Z9 with varying degrees of brushes and nothing touched the stains, they didn`t get better at all. I then tried leatherique rejuvinator oil as some have mentioned it helps remove deep embedded dirt and grime; nothing.

I thought of maybe trying a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

Any ideas?

Thanks fellas.

(In my amateur opinion) - I won`t doubt the Magic Eraser succeeding to remove these stains, however, it is abrasive and I would definetly use it with caution.

Setec Astronomy
03-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Are you sure it`s a stain on top of the leather? As opposed to the tire leaching some of the dye out of the leather...kind of like the way tires affect garage floor paint?

LouisanaJeeper
03-12-2007, 11:46 PM
woolite has always removed rubber scuffs for me. sounds like this tire has actually stained the leather, how long was the tire on the leather?

imported_Picus
03-13-2007, 02:22 PM
Are you sure it`s a stain on top of the leather? As opposed to the tire leaching some of the dye out of the leather...kind of like the way tires affect garage floor paint?

That`s a very good guess. I am not sure it`s a stain, in fact I am more sure it`s a problem with the dye now that I`ve worked on it.

woolite has always removed rubber scuffs for me. sounds like this tire has actually stained the leather, how long was the tire on the leather?

No idea, the previous owner must have put them on the leather. Woolite didn`t touch this, it`s always worked for me too.

I am going to try the eraser. I almost never use it because it is abrasive, but it`s worth a shot.

JohnZ3MC
03-13-2007, 09:11 PM
I live in an area where there are lots of boats and marinas and boat supply shops. Sometimes I wander through and look for detailing supplies and see a spray type cleaner made for black scuff marks on boats. Imagine where a hull rubs up against a dock (lined with tires).

This stuff is supposed to remove them so I wonder if it`d work for your application. I`ve never used anything like that before myself so I can`t comment either way but for a couple of bucks, it might be worth a shot.

Any boat supply shops in your area? If not, I could send you a sampler.

-John C.

imported_Picus
03-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Lots of boat supply places here. I have one right down the road; I will check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

America
04-27-2007, 03:09 PM
I have the same problem. Did you ever remove the tire marks? If so how?

imported_Picus
04-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Well, we did - but it required re-dying the leather. The rubber had basically leached out the dye. :(