PDA

View Full Version : Are car dusters safe or not?

DobermannCX7
03-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Ok. Im a newbie :P I was just reading a guide to quick detailing where it recommends the use of a car duster before applying a quick detailing spray. But I`ve heard a lot of people saying that car dusters always leave little scratches on the paint.

Also, the guide mentions that the use of a duster is not necessary but it does mention it as the first step of the process.

So, are they or are they not safe? and if its not necessary to quick detailing, should I just apply the spray over the dust and wipe it off????

Thanks!

D.

BMW335i
03-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Ok. Im a newbie :P I was just reading a guide to quick detailing where it recommends the use of a car duster before applying a quick detailing spray. But I`ve heard a lot of people saying that car dusters always leave little scratches on the paint.

Also, the guide mentions that the use of a duster is not necessary but it does mention it as the first step of the process.

So, are they or are they not safe? and if its not necessary to quick detailing, should I just apply the spray over the dust and wipe it off????

Thanks!

D.

I definetly wouldn`t use one after a drive. If you had just washed it, and its been sitting in the garage for a few days, go ahead.

If the car is pretty clean, you can just forget the duster and QD.

Accumulator
03-11-2007, 11:44 AM
DobermannCX7- Some people use them and report no marring at all. Other people (myself included) have used them and *did* get marring despite taking all the appropriate precautions. It`s a risk and the potential problem is that you won`t know that it doesn`t work for *you* until you`ve marred your vehicle. Same goes for QDing too BTW.

Oh, and welcome to Autopia!

DobermannCX7
03-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks guys. Well yeah, my car is black, so you can figure. Im washing it 2 times a week right now, and just use the QD spray for spots. Every scratch I get is a painful defeat lol, so I guess I`ll stick with the hard work :P

Thanks!