PDA

View Full Version : Backing Plate 9227CX3?

CelicaLover
03-10-2007, 03:42 PM
From what I understand the 9227CX3 comes with a velcro backing plate but I would like to replace it. Can I use one from meguiars or should I go with one of the ones from LC?

Could you please list what you use and if it is even possible to replace the original factory backing plate.

TIA

Eliot Ness
03-10-2007, 05:24 PM
You can replace the backing plate with any standard 5/8" threaded BP........ all of the rotaries I have seen use the same thread size so replacing the one on your Makita won`t be a problem.

I haven`t used the Meg`s BP on a rotary, but others have. Just match the size of your BP (diameter) to the size pads you plan on using. I personally use a 5" BP so I can also use my ~ 5"-6" PC pads on the rotary.

CelicaLover
03-10-2007, 06:11 PM
The closest ones I could find on autogeek were 4 3/4 and 6 and 7. Would six work for the 6.5 in. pads I have coming?

Eliot Ness
03-10-2007, 06:21 PM
The closest ones I could find on autogeek were 4 3/4 and 6 and 7. Would six work for the 6.5 in. pads I have coming?Probably, but I don`t know what pads you ordered. The following 6.5" LC pads say they can be used with a 5" or 6" BP:

6.5" Foam Flat Pads by Lake Country (http://www.danase.com/6foflpabylac.html)

If you ordered a different type of pad then check the website where you ordered and see if they have a recommended BP size to use. Some of the older LC pads had a smaller diameter Velcro backing and a 6" BP would extend past the Velcro onto the pad. Most of the newer LC pads increased the size of the Velcro, but w/o knowing what pads you ordered I can only guess that a 6" should work OK.

CelicaLover
03-10-2007, 06:44 PM
I got the megs pads

Eliot Ness
03-10-2007, 07:47 PM
I got the megs padsThen you might want to get a 5" BP (or close) for those pads. On my 6.5" Meg`s pads the Velcro it is only about 5.25" in diameter, unless they`ve changed it recently.

BlackElantraGT
03-11-2007, 04:41 AM
I also just received my Makita and ended up going with the 4 3/4" backing plate from Autogeek since all my pads are 6.5". With the Meg`s pads, the velcro does not go all the way to the edge of the pad so with 6", it`s going to be way too big. I currently have the 5" Meg`s backing plate for my PC and the velcro on the pad is BARELY a tiny bit bigger than the 5" backing plate.

It`s weird how it was hard finding something in the 5" range for a rotary. Hopefully the 4 3/4" LC backing plate will work out for me. I really hated the design of the Meg`s backing plate because it always ended up biting and slicing into my Meg`s pads. I love how the LC pads have velcro on the whole back. That should help it from cutting up my pads a bit.

Changeling
03-11-2007, 03:36 PM
I am pretty sure it is "AG" that recommends the 4 3/4 inch rotary backing plate for the 6.5 inch pads.

kleraudio
06-10-2007, 05:57 PM
I am pretty sure it is "AG" that recommends the 4 3/4 inch rotary backing plate for the 6.5 inch pads.

Hey Change, is that a good suggestion though, I am getting a rotary very soon and dont know if I should go with the 4 3/4" plate, the 5" megs or LC plate or the 6" megs or LC plate.

I will be using 6.5" pads probably...

Jim