PDA

View Full Version : New tires cost question.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Changeling
03-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Guys I was talking to my pharmacist today (single beautiful lady) and she told me she had paid $1500.00 dollars for 4 new tires on her car, I believe she said it was a Nissan Maxima, I could be wrong about the model. She was told because of the model car she had that special tools were needed to install the tires. Work was done by a Nissan dealer.

This sounds like BS to me. I have never heard of special tools required to install any tires !!

Is anyone familiar with this vehicle?

Changeling

TwinTowers
03-08-2007, 03:49 PM
:showpics

$750 per tire=BS...now about those pics

imported_Yal
03-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Wow!

Unless a wheel alignment and brake inspection was included in that price, as soon as she got around the corner they were high fiving each other. That was a coup!

You need to take a closer look at the bill.

BigJimZ28
03-08-2007, 04:02 PM
$750 per tire=BS...now about those pics

1500/4=$375

thats what you get for going to a dealer for tires!

check out tirerack for what she should have paid

add about $100 for local disposal, stems, ballance, ect

sixty7mustang22
03-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Even the best GoodYear or Michelins tires are going for just under 2 bills for that type of car. She got jipped. Now, if she is rolling on dubs or something like that, then I could see around $1000 for tires. I think she got the raw end of a deal.

joshtpa
03-08-2007, 04:12 PM
You can try some tires such as Kumho or something that are still great tires, but are one step below Michelins.

imported_mosborn9
03-08-2007, 04:24 PM
I beleive her. Please see the following link about run flat tires that cost as much as 3 times the cost of regular tires and last only 1/2 as long.

- CLICK & CLACK : Run-Flat Crazy - washingtonpost.com (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/04/AR2007010401527.html?nav=rss_opinion/columns)

imported_doctordon
03-08-2007, 04:27 PM
I second Josh.. Kumho`s are great. I got four for my wife`s SUV. Here`s a tip:

1. Buy them at JEGS (the hotrod supplier) better price/free shipping.

2. Take them to SEARS and for about $15ea you get free bal/rotate `till

you simply get sick of driving over there. Sears` regular oil change is

about $25...I do both, on my truck, about every 3k.

I paid more for smaller Dunlops for my SUV from Tire Rack and her`s are better tires from noise/balance standpoint. I don`t do deserts or mountains, so I know which would be better in those conditions.

Thomas Dekany
03-08-2007, 04:35 PM
best prices on tires:

Edge Racing - bb4 (http://www.edgeracing.com)

thank me later for all the $$$ I will save you on your next purchase. :D

Changeling
03-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Guys you are missing the point of the question. Is there anything special about "ANY" of the Nissan cars to create this kind of cost? I Know, I know, this sounds really stupid so I just called her for a copy of the bill so I can see what the hell is going on!! She said she will get it next week.

Example: I bought 4 tires installed, life time repair and rotation for roughly $550.00 from SAM`s Club ( approx 1 year ago). No it`s not spam, an example!! This is for a Toyota Tacoma TRD with some huge tires.

I just can`t stand someone getting screwed when they don`t get to enjoy it, get the drift?

Changeling

SpoiledMan
03-08-2007, 05:35 PM
She just got the dealer inflated special. Nothing special about Maxima tires that I`ve heard.

I just bought tires for TWO cars for less than $800. BFG`s for one car and Dunlop for the other.

imported_grease
03-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Changling, the only special need for tires required for new cars is, well, not a tool at all. Lots of new tires have to be mounted with tire pressure sensors. This takes special care, and I have heard of dealers passing on their costs to the customer and saying its needed.

That being said, 1500 is totally believeable for 4 new tires with tire pressure sensors plus mounting and labour.

Did her maxima come with the 18`s? 245/45/18`s came stock on the maxima I had.

Look at Tirerack.

-Goodyear Eagle RS-A`s (OEM replacement, fairly cheap tire) 245/45/18 $246 x 4

-TPMS $75 x 4

Thats $1284 NOT INCLUDING mounting and balancing and stealership markup.

No scam, just doing business with a stealership.

SpoiledMan
03-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Ehh, the car would have come with TPM`s. They don`t need to be changed out every time a tire gets changed. They ripped her off.

imported_grease
03-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Ehh, the car would have come with TPM`s. They don`t need to be changed out every time a tire gets changed. They ripped her off.YEa, the car would have come with them, but would she know that? Plus, maybe the dealership broke them and passed on the cost of buying new ones, to her.

SpoiledMan
03-08-2007, 06:37 PM
That just lends more to the idea that they ripped her off. $1500 for 4 tires on a Maxima is robbery.