PDA

View Full Version : help with silver paint.......

jaxnorth
05-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Gang,

Just joined this forum, and plan to be around for a while. I have a 2002 z/28 in silver. The paint is very smooth and I have waxed it with zymol and it shines like a mirror. However, I want better. Silver is one of those colors that I love the look but unless you look at it from an angle, you can`t get any depth to it.....at least not me.

Since I have only had the car a month, I want to be able to start over and try to make it stunning, although my wife would say it already is. What would you reccomend?

After I wash it, and do the plastic bag trick, if it is smooth, should I clay it? I don`t have anything as far as chemicals go, and I would hate to have to spend 200 bucks to buy a 7424 and a boat load of products to do this, since I am to old to detail cars like I used to, and recover my money back.

If that is the only route, to purchase PC and supplies, then I will, but any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mr. Clean
05-04-2005, 02:18 PM
...I would hate to have to spend 200 bucks to buy a 7424 and a boat load of products to do this, since I am to old to detail cars like I used to, and recover my money back.

If you`re too old, then there is no better reason to buy a PC. It really helps to save the back, shoulders, and arms when polishing and waxing in a single day.

As for the need to clay, if you use the plastic baggie and don`t feel any "roughness", then no you don`t have to clay. I would be surprised if this is the case, however.

Silver paint certainly has its plusses and minuses. My suggestion, is to play up on the strengths of the color and look for gloss and reflection. Or you can mute the the gloss by topping a sealant with some carnauba. What products to use? Too many options to list. If, as you said, you are going to be here a while, do some searching of the posts get some ideas and then come back with some specific product questions along with a clear idea of what "look" you want to acheive.

jaxnorth
05-04-2005, 02:37 PM
Mr. Clean,

I get your point about the PC....I have a little black and decker orbital now that certainly helps a bunch, but not professional enough to really get the job done.

You provided some good info. If depth is not a strong suit, but glossy is, then I will go that route and play to the strength silver has. That is the best thing about a board like this, you can ask others with more experience and not make costly mistakes or have unattainable goals.

I will look for additional responses and start researching the best bet for a glossy finish to my new ride. Thanks so much.............

VroomVroom
05-05-2005, 01:34 AM
I can relate. I`ve detailed a couple of silver Mercedes Benz vehicles, and their silver is just gorgeous. Four Star UPC & UPP just offer everything on that finish - depth, pop, & shine.

My wife has a truck in GM`s silver birch. I`ve tried a number of products - Four Star, Poorboys, Adam`s...all work well but afterward the finish lacks at least one of the elements above. Based on some recent advice, I`m going to try UPP topped with carnuba (P21S) to see how that looks.

I agree about the PC, for whatever it`s worth. By far the best detailing investment I`ve ever made.

Take care,
Jerry

NYV6Coupe
05-05-2005, 10:45 AM
I`ve had great success ( and many compliments) using AIO + 3x UPP in the summer on my Satin Silver Accord.

Winter protection is provided by 3x Klasse SG & 3x Collinite 476s and this combo also looks great & it lasted through a tough winter.