PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar products not for me.

imported_Reflectionz
03-06-2007, 10:38 PM
Well, a few days ago, i ran out of 3m compound and had to use my bottle of scratch x laying around. i though it worked amazingly on the rotary with a maroon meg pad. too good to be true, maybe it was? i had a feeling it was just hiding everything instead of getting rid of them due to how good it worked.. but i didnt really care as i was buffing cars for dealerships. i noticed when i wiped off the residue, it left an oily mark around the area i buff, maybe filler? this stuff was like a miracle compared to what i was using before! or at least it seemed.

so today, i decided to head to the paint shop to see what they have in stock. I picked up a bottle of #83 which was level 10 in cutting according to the label and a bottle of #9 swirl remover. i didnt like how #85 stuck to the paint and left nasty residue which was a pain to gett off.. so i decided to mix some #7 into it to thin it out a little.. about 1/4 of it or less and shaked real good. as i was buffing, i though to myself.. damn! this stuff rocks! a few passes on speed 3 and the scratch was gone? i wiped it off and :hm . i couldnt believe it! so i got some paint thinner and rubbed gently on that area to see if it was just filling everything and :mad: it came back. and im sure i didnt create addition scratches to the area, it was the same scratch. just too good to be true. anyone have experience this? am i doing something wrong? i`d ordered over $100 on optimum product a few days back and hope it doesnt do the same thing meguiar **** did.

Black240SX
03-06-2007, 10:42 PM
#83 is rated 6 on a scale of 10... It`s not that hard to use, but you apparently need to change your technique a little. Are you polishing until dry? That`s not correct; you should stop before the product dries.

sneek
03-06-2007, 10:47 PM
ScratchX is a hand applied product. Only the newest bottle can be applied with a DA.

#83 DACP is actually 6/10 on the cut scale. I don`t have problems with it leaving oily marks, although it tends to dust a bit when I use it with a cutting pad on the PC. I have used #83 to remove some pretty nasty swirls, and I have not noticed any fillers. #9 on the other hand is full of fillers along with #7.

MBurnickas
03-06-2007, 10:56 PM
Your Not Alone with problems with Meguiars..

http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/85865-frustrated-dacp.html?highlight=frustrated

Whitethunder46
03-06-2007, 11:11 PM
I don`t use Megs compounts/polishes. I feel there are better ones out there.

However, I love quite a few of their chemicals from the Pro Detailers line.

imported_Reflectionz
03-06-2007, 11:19 PM
#83 is rated 6 on a scale of 10... It`s not that hard to use, but you apparently need to change your technique a little. Are you polishing until dry? That`s not correct; you should stop before the product dries.

woops.. i meant #85. no, im not polishing until it dries completely.

imported_Reflectionz
03-06-2007, 11:22 PM
ScratchX is a hand applied product. Only the newest bottle can be applied with a DA.

#83 DACP is actually 6/10 on the cut scale. I don`t have problems with it leaving oily marks, although it tends to dust a bit when I use it with a cutting pad on the PC. I have used #83 to remove some pretty nasty swirls, and I have not noticed any fillers. #9 on the other hand is full of fillers along with #7.

yea.. i just had a bottle laying around i never use and what the heck. it worked amazingly on the rotary! im going to check out the car tomorrow that i did and see if the scratches came back or i might even run it with paint thinner to see if it filled it instead of getting rid of it.:bolt

Scottwax
03-06-2007, 11:23 PM
Try cutting back on the amount you are using. I`ve never had a problem with any oily residue with Meguiars products unless I use too much. A little bit of trial and error will help you determine the correct amount. I think Meguiars has some really good polishes, they just have a learning curve to deal with.

Just FYI with Optimum, once the pad is primed, you don`t need much product to polish out a section.

qadsan
03-06-2007, 11:46 PM
#7 will fill scratches / swirls with oils, but #83 will definitely remove them and not just fill them. If #83 is leaving a nasty residue or gumming up, then it`s likely because you`re using too much and you wouldn`t be the first person I`ve heard these kinds of comments from. In fact, I`ve heard these same kinds of comments numerous times with #83 and similar comments with many other brands of products as well.

If you want to continue trying working with #83, then I`d recommend using significantly less product and working it until it begins to break down and turn clear. Keep reducing the amount you use until it doesn`t gum up or leave a nasty residue. I find that it does dust a good bit more than something like Optimum, but I`ll continue to work it past this point until it clears and then wipe it down. It should easily wipe off if you`re using the right amount. I prefer to use it with a rotary, but I`ve used it with a PC and had good results. With the PC, I prefer to use it with a 4" pad and I can do a fair amount of correction this way.

I`ve used 3M (quantity wise) more than any other product I`ve tried (with Meguiar`s being my 2nd most used) only because that`s what was given to me in the body shops I worked in many years ago, but I`ve tried countless numbers of other products and can usually get very good results with most of them once I figure out how to best work them. For the last year or so, I`ve mostly been using Optimum for polishing (always having Menzerna products on hand ;)), but I still use various Meguiars products with excellent results and will probably always keep a number of their products on hand.

Since around September, I`ve started using more Duragloss (PBA, TPP & AW) & Collinite (845 & 885) products for LSP and I`m very impressed with the price / performance of these products in addition to DP MaxWax. The fun thing about this is there`s always something new to try and the products I`m using today are way more friendly than the products I was using ~25 years ago.

imported_Reflectionz
03-07-2007, 02:02 AM
#7 will fill scratches / swirls with oils, but #83 will definitely remove them and not just fill them. If #83 is leaving a nasty residue or gumming up, then it`s likely because you`re using too much and you wouldn`t be the first person I`ve heard these kinds of comments from. In fact, I`ve heard these same kinds of comments numerous times with #83 and similar comments with many other brands of products as well.

If you want to continue trying working with #83, then I`d recommend using significantly less product and working it until it begins to break down and turn clear. Keep reducing the amount you use until it doesn`t gum up or leave a nasty residue. I find that it does dust a good bit more than something like Optimum, but I`ll continue to work it past this point until it clears and then wipe it down. It should easily wipe off if you`re using the right amount. I prefer to use it with a rotary, but I`ve used it with a PC and had good results. With the PC, I prefer to use it with a 4" pad and I can do a fair amount of correction this way.

I`ve used 3M (quantity wise) more than any other product I`ve tried (with Meguiar`s being my 2nd most used) only because that`s what was given to me in the body shops I worked in many years ago, but I`ve tried countless numbers of other products and can usually get very good results with most of them once I figure out how to best work them. For the last year or so, I`ve mostly been using Optimum for polishing (always having Menzerna products on hand ;)), but I still use various Meguiars products with excellent results and will probably always keep a number of their products on hand.

Since around September, I`ve started using more Duragloss (PBA, TPP & AW) & Collinite (845 & 885) products for LSP and I`m very impressed with the price / performance of these products in addition to DP MaxWax. The fun thing about this is there`s always something new to try and the products I`m using today are way more friendly than the products I was using ~25 years ago.

i meant #85. my mistake.

imported_Reflectionz
03-07-2007, 02:03 AM
Try cutting back on the amount you are using. I`ve never had a problem with any oily residue with Meguiars products unless I use too much. A little bit of trial and error will help you determine the correct amount. I think Meguiars has some really good polishes, they just have a learning curve to deal with.

Just FYI with Optimum, once the pad is primed, you don`t need much product to polish out a section.

you cant really tell if the scratch is gone or not because you cant see it with the filler. but when you run some thinner over it, the scratch will appear again. im not using that much. maybe like a dime nickel size for a foot of working area. i tried spreading it at low speeds but it sticks and clumps like crazy. so i started just working it at regular speeds and moving my way around and that worked out great.. it does leave a little oil feel to that area i work on but easily wipes off. maybe its just the oil in #9 filling it? i put about 1/4 or less in.

Scottwax
03-07-2007, 02:19 AM
you cant really tell if the scratch is gone or not because you cant see it with the filler. but when you run some thinner over it, the scratch will appear again. im not using that much. maybe like a dime nickel size for a foot of working area. i tried spreading it at low speeds but it sticks and clumps like crazy. so i started just working it at regular speeds and moving my way around and that worked out great.. it does leave a little oil feel to that area i work on but easily wipes off. maybe its just the oil in #9 filling it? i put about 1/4 or less in.

#9 isn`t very aggressive and does so some light filling. A better choice is #80 since it does more correction. It also has Meguiars trade secret oils so check your work with an alcohol or thinner wipedown.

I haven`t used #85 but I have used a lot of #83, #82 and #80 and haven`t had any sticking problems. I`ve been using them via PC and Cyclo though. However, I have seen Mike Phillips of Meguiars using #84 via rotary and he was able to work it and leave a very minimum of swirls.

Junebug
03-07-2007, 07:52 AM
Scott, was Mike Phillips using a wool pad with #84 or foam?

Todd@RUPES
03-07-2007, 03:39 PM
#85 is forumlated dry to be used with a wool pad only. With a foam pad it quickly gums up and becomes like putty to remove. I would only use it with a wool pad, though I much perfer #84.

Scottwax
03-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Scott, was Mike Phillips using a wool pad with #84 or foam?

Burgandy foam cutting pad.