PDA

View Full Version : New member - need urgent advice before I mess up my car

kwaobus
03-06-2007, 09:08 PM
I have been following a hillarious thread between this forum and the BMW M5 forum, regrading 3M products. The bottom line is I am a detailing junkie, but at a beginners level. I own a 2007 BWM M5 , Interlagos Blue, and here is my problem:

1. Bird dropping last week: Cleaned up just maybe one hour after and already there is a clear mark on the clear coat. Needless to say I am pi@#ed. BMW paint is weak, that is for sure. I am afraid of using the wheel or a product that is too abrasive becasue I am going to screw it up . What can I do? How do I proceed.

2. Ongoing, what wax provides long lasting protection? (I am more concerned about long lasting protection and UV protection than shine). I assume a polymer based prodcut like Zaino or Klasse would serve the best purpose? Right now I am using Wolfgangs Car care and the wax must not be good if a bird dropping damages the paint in such short time...

3. How do avoid swirls marks (i use soft sheep skin and never double dip in the bucket).

Here is picture of my car. many thanks for the advice in advance.

gmblack3
03-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Nice car!

Depending on the what the birds have been eating, sometimes nothing will protect your paint.

What area are you from? Maybe you can find a local pro from here to polish your car out and help you with a good plan.

kwaobus
03-06-2007, 09:18 PM
I live in miami, FL

BMW335i
03-06-2007, 09:19 PM
I dont think the bird poop should have caused that much damage in so little time...

mgm2003
03-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Nice car!

Depending on the what the birds have been eating, sometimes nothing will protect your paint.

What area are you from? Maybe you can find a local pro from here to polish your car out and help you with a good plan.

Ditto. But I`ll say `Nice Car` again.

Keep a MF and QD spray in your car so you can blot off bird bombs as soon as possible. Blotting is key. A friend reminded me the other day that birds take in gravel to digest food and that comes out with the poo. Wiping off a bird bomb will scratch/marr your paint -so be sure to blot it off.

Some bird bombs can make quick work of any paint finish, especially if exposed to full sun. This isn`t a BMW paint issue at all -all paints are susceptible.

If you`re most concerned about protection, I`d try parking in the shade for starters. Zaino, Klasse, wax, etc... will all protect your paint, but that doesn`t mean they will prevent bird bomb damage.

kwaobus
03-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Maybe it was a bit longer but defintiely not more than 3-4 hours. It was not white but more of a transparent kind, maybe not even a bird dropping but somethign else? Maybe a berry of some sorts? The damage is done in any case. i just want o minimize the wear on this very delicate paint and color...

ZoranC
03-06-2007, 09:40 PM
I dont think the bird poop should have caused that much damage in so little time...

That`s what I used to think too until one bird proved me wrong.

touchofdetail
03-06-2007, 10:19 PM
keep it under a car cover at all times.

thailover
03-06-2007, 10:21 PM
http://members.cox.net./sborders/spammer.gif

velobard
03-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Keep a MF and QD spray in your car so you can blot off bird bombs as soon as possible. Blotting is key. A friend reminded me the other day that birds take in gravel to digest food and that comes out with the poo. Wiping off a bird bomb will scratch/marr your paint -so be sure to blot it off.

I`ve seen some bird bombs that were practically glued to the surface. I had to deal with a small one like that this morning. I sprayed it with 425, let it soak, used the MF, repeat, repeat. Still one stubborn spot that just wouldn`t come off. I didn`t like it, but after repeated efforts and soaking, I practically had to scrub with the MF, for awhile. I plan on polishing in the near future anyway, but dang that bomb was stuck.