PDA

View Full Version : Anyone out there with a video camera!?!?!

Wes Man
03-05-2007, 08:19 PM
i want so badly to upgrade to a rotary. i will gladly pay $230 to get the results that some of you guys are getting. the ONLY reason i haven`t bought one yet is that i am TEEERRRIFIED!! i don`t know anyone locally that uses one effectivly and i can`t quite get myself to use one without the proper methods and do`s and don`ts. if someone out there(someone with experience!! and the post to back them up:bow ) would make an instruction video of some sort, i would gladly buy it. you know, a strictly rotary video, for someone who has the experience detailing with a PC. please post with some info

BlueZero
03-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Check out our site sponsor. Danase has a rotary DVD for $50. If I remember reading right it`s about 80% rotary use.

natebood
03-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Have you watched any of Anthony Orosco`s videos?

Also: http://autopia.org/forum/machine-polishing/85099-videos-proper-rotary-technigues.html?highlight=Rotary+Video

sneek
03-05-2007, 08:46 PM
I think Show Car Garage might have something coming out in the next couple of weeks.

BigJimZ28
03-05-2007, 08:49 PM
I think Show Car Garage might have something coming out in the next couple of weeks.

last I read there were legal problems and it is not comming out!

Scottwax
03-05-2007, 10:37 PM
I`d check out Anthony`s videos. Too bad Mike Phillips has never made a rotary video, I`ve seen him use one and he is so smooth with it and even with compounds as aggressive as Meguiars #84/85, nary a trace of rotary swirls.

gmblack3
03-05-2007, 11:15 PM
You could always start with a soft pad, low cut polish and 1200. Not much of a chance of doing any damage as long as you use common sense.

David703
03-06-2007, 05:01 PM
I hate to be negative but you can watch the UFC all day and night and watch videos of someone teaching you Brazilian Jui-Jitsu moves and how to fight, but if you don`t have any actual experience and learning "hands on", you are going to be very unhappy with the results..Experience is the greatest teacher.

Absolutely get a good video as many have suggested.. BUT you must practice those techiques and "feel" what you are doing. It took me at least 5 cars to be able not to make a mistake with the rotory.. The more correction you need to do, or the smaller the area you need to correct, or an area with curves, or an area with a painted rubber bumper, or around trim or moldings or on a vertical service, the more you will make mistakes. Every car is a different problem. Practicing on junk cars is great. Practing on removed body panels isn`t so challenging... so.... practice practice practice.. and good luck.

Mobilejay
03-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Is it easier going from a pc to a rotary then going straight to a rotary with no previous no-how of something kind of similar? I have the same problem about moving to a rotary but was hoping after using a pc that it wouldnt be so hard to pick up. Maybe I`m wrong but it makes me feel better. :)

David703
03-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Is it easier going from a pc to a rotary then going straight to a rotary with no previous no-how of something kind of similar? I have the same problem about moving to a rotary but was hoping after using a pc that it wouldnt be so hard to pick up. Maybe I`m wrong but it makes me feel better. :)

In my opinion they are two totally different experiences.. The biggest difference between them is the ability to permanently damage paint in an instant with the rotory. The PC does not prepare you in any way for that. Can someone with PC experience use the rotory and get good or great results? Absolutely. However, there is a HUGE potential for great damage and until one knows the limits of the rotory, there will be that risk. In fact even today with over 50 rotory jobs on my hands, I still get nervous when working around dangerously tight spots on a car with the rotory.

Fobia
03-06-2007, 10:05 PM
i work at a car wash shop and detail center..and the only thing they had is 3 rotary`s.. and my jaw dropped cause.. i am the one who knows the most about detailing as far as im concerned and i have never picked up rotary before.. cause some of the guys there that where the "detailers" and i saw them use the buffers and it was just disgusting.. so they asked me if i knew how to buff and i said yes.. cause i believe that my techniques, and knowladge gained from autopia were far superior to there`s..

i have only buffed 4 cars thus far on a rotary.. and they have all been american cars.. and this is waht i can tell you..(keeping in mind i have never used a PC or cyclo before)

i have used. a wool pad and i couple of other pads.. and using 3m products compoudns and glazes..

- YOU WILL ONLY LEARN HANDS ON! but it does help to get proper knowladge on .. not to put that much pressure.. and make it smooth

if you don`t feel comfortable i suggest.. using less abrasive products and very light cut pads... @ 1200 to 1500 rpm no more! and work your way up on pads and abrasives if that is not giving you the disered finish.. also you should get like a panel from a car in a junk yard to practice on too.. that always helps!

sneek
03-10-2007, 04:19 PM
:D the SCG DVD should come out very soon!!

LeadingEdgeDetail
03-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Biggest difference with PC and Rotary.

PC, you apply pressure.

Rotary, you let the machine be the ONLY weight. If anything, make it lighter.