PDA

View Full Version : Short Review of CG5050 - VW - #16

imported_DennisH
03-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Since it was 65 today and I wanted to try some new products I bought over the winter so I decided to do a quick wash of Mini Cooper. I had last detail it Oct 06 and it had couple coats of Zanio and 845 on the hood and they both made the winter just fine and looks like they had lots of life left. The entire car needs a light polish that I skipped and went to trying some difference waxes on different panels.

Prep: Just a quick was with Zaino soap and the foam gun then a quick dry with one of the guzzlers from AG. Finish has some light swirls but not really bad.

I used CG 5050 on the driver side hood and fender using a Megs foam applicator. Went on easy and off easy and used the WOWO method. Nice depth and wetness and notice a slight paint darkening, shine was not over whelming giving it a nice softness. CG did a good job filling in the light swirls.

Next applied VW with bare hands and had trouble getting the layers really thin and couldn’t get an even coat, maybe would work better if the outside temperature was a little warmer. Used the WOWO after about a minute wait between application and wiping off. Little harder to remove than CG5050 but still not a real problem. Could see a noticeable darkening of the paint and more depth and wetness than CG5050 and less shine giving it a really soft looking rich look finish. VW did a excellent job of hiding some swirls and light marring.

Number #16 I used Megs foam pad for application and the WOWO application method. I read that it can be hard to remove but I didn’t have any problems, came off easier than VW. Was not overly impressed with the looks, has less depth and wetness than either VW of 5050 and a really shinny appearance that I would expect from a sealant not a wax. Didn’t notice any paint darkening almost seemed like the opposite. Didn’t do much for swirls and couldn’t see a hiding ability.

Over all I really like the VW but I will take a little pratice getting the applicaton down right. I plan to spend more time with these over the summer and use them on several different color cars so we will see which one is my favorite by summers end.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/DSC01235.jpg

joe.p
03-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Dennish,

Thanks for taking the time to do a wax review..Pics show CGs 50/50 looks to have added depth/wetness..I like to use carnaubas during the summer months over sealants and hope to pick up some CGs 50/50 along with some V-Wax by then..

Thanks

joe

tom p.
03-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Next applied VW with bare hands and had ..

Dennis, it looks nice. I am having jargon overload - - what is "VW"?

thanks.

joe.p
03-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Dennis, it looks nice. I am having jargon overload - - what is "VW"?

thanks.

:secret Hey tom p.,

VW= Victoria Wax ;)

Scottwax
03-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Nice test and side by side comparisons!

I`ve only used #16 out of those three, and I tend to use it more on sealant friendly colors since it doesn`t really darken the paint. I bet you`d like it on white more than red but would probably be happier with the other two on that color.

tom p.
03-05-2007, 06:20 PM
:secret Hey tom p.,

VW= Victoria Wax ;)

Ahhhh, I knew that http://www.apimac.com/emoticons/images/italiamac_biggrin.gif

And who is Victoria?? :eek:

imported_DennisH
03-05-2007, 07:26 PM

I not sure if you can link so Google Victory Wax. I purchased the Concours or Red wax and also the most expensive of his lineup. My first impression is that it more of a beauty wax, I have used RMG/PS for a couple of years now and I think this one should compare very well. I also purchased the soap, cleaner and QD that I will be trying during my spring cleaning.

joe.p
03-05-2007, 11:44 PM

I knew you did :xyxthumbs