PDA

View Full Version : #80 and few detailing questions

matrix_808
03-05-2007, 12:49 AM
I was thinking of trying some #80, but im not sure what its like, i already have IP/ssr2.5 and FPII/ssr1 for compounding polishes, but where would #80 lie in aggressiveness. i heard it was between ssr1 and ssr2.5 in aggresivness, is this true?

For swirls should i just go with #80 and a white LC pad followed by AIO?

What color pad do you normally use AIO with white or black?

Jngrbrdman
03-05-2007, 02:03 AM
Here is your relative list of abrasives. I`m pretty sure there is a more comprehensive list around here somewhere. I remember seeing it a couple years back.

#85 Diamond Cut = 10

#84 Compound Power Cleaner = 9

#4 Heavy-cut Cleaner = 8

#1 Medium-cut Cleaner = 7

#83 DACP = 6

#2 Fine-cut Cleaner = 5

#80 Speed Glaze = 4

#82 Swirl Free Polish = 3

#9 Swirl Remover 2.0 = 3

#3 Machine Glaze = 1

They don`t list anything at the 2 rating that I know of.

If you are going to go the Meguiar`s route then I would suggest #83. I have gotten great results out of that. I`ve also gotten fantastic results out of the SSRs, so if you have 2.5 then I would suggest to just use that depending on the level of severity of the swirls. If you are looking at just mild swirling then even #80 may be too agressive. No need to use a cannon to kill a mosquito, ya know. Use whatever is appropriate for your swirls. I`ve found that SSR2 followed with SSR1 will often times give me the same results as working #83 for awhile on the same type of damage. To give you a good point of reference, here is a quick before/after with DACP.

http://www.ocdetails.com/assets/images/Swirls1.jpg

http://www.ocdetails.com/assets/images/Swirls2.jpg

It took a few minutes of polishing, but it works like a charm. When it comes to the Meguiar`s polishes I pretty much stick with DACP. It polishes down into a nice final polish that removes any hazing left over. With SSR2 or 2.5 I usually have to follow up with something else to clear up the micro marring haze that is left behind.

matrix_808
03-05-2007, 02:38 AM
wow so the #83 can break down enough to be used as a 1 step for compounding? ya usually i go ssr2.5 then ssr1 then AIO. if #83 can do the ssr2.5 and ssr1 in one step i think i may change to save on time.

btw what type of pad was this used with?

Jngrbrdman
03-05-2007, 12:06 PM
I typically use a cutting pad. I believe I used a meguiar`s red pad for that. It was a few years ago and I`m not sure I remember.

Blink21Me
03-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Anthony, are those swirls in the before picture completely removed??? or were there some fine hair strip scratches left after the #83? I am having some serious trouble removing swirls with SSR2.5 and SSR1 both on a light cutting pad. It makes the "spider web" appearance go away but it still leaves some fine hair line scratches that I seem to have never been able to remove...

Danny_Harris
07-31-2013, 01:49 AM
I was thinking of trying some #80, but im not sure what its like, i already have IP/ssr2.5 and FPII/ssr1 for compounding polishes, but where would #80 lie in aggressiveness. i heard it was between ssr1 and ssr2.5 in aggresivness, is this true?

For swirls should i just go with #80 and a white LC pad followed by AIO?

What color pad do you normally use AIO with white or black?

I think black color is suitable for AIO, so I choose white color.... :)