PDA

View Full Version : Noob with questions

b8factor
03-04-2007, 10:39 PM
I just bought a new Porsche Cayman S and I have to say I am unprepared to take care of it! I have never had a car I could not just drive through a car wash and be OK with it.

I do not want to get too deep into caring for it but it is a dark color with a FULL leather interior and I want her to stay as NEW as long as I can. If I want to have a PRO do her twice a year and take care of the rest myself inbetween what should I do?

I see so many products out but have been leaning toward Pinnacle Sourveign(bang for buck) and SONUS(towels etc). I was thinking Zaino but I hear it takes a LONG time and is more difficult.

I do have a clear bra and was told what ever I do not to use products with silicone or that add color as they will mess with the clear bra material.

So I guess I want to have a PRO get me rolling and then do the weekly wash myself to keep her clean in-between the PRO detailing. By the way I have not found a PRO in Cincinnati area yet, perhaps I will have more luck in Destin FL or Las Vegas were I will be over the next 6 months.

-William:nervous2: :nervous2:

Accumulator
03-05-2007, 12:05 PM
b8factor- Welcome to Autopia!

The idea to see a pro a few times a year and just do normal maintenance details yourself sounds sensible.

The warnings you hear about silicones are generally overstated. Don`t worry about it. No decent products impart any color (despite their pigmentation) so that shouldn`t be a concern either.

Souveran looks nice (I use it on a garage queen) but it doesn`t last long and most people wouldn`t consider it a good bang for the buck as it`s a pretty expensive wax (but "expensive" is a relative term ;) ).

Zaino looks *very* different from Souveran. Though I don`t use it, I wouldn`t think it any harder to use than most other products, but it does *IMO* require a basically perfectly-prepped finish to look OK and getting/maintaining that can be a real challenge (that`s the part I`d consider difficult).

My usual recommendation to new detailers is to use 1Z brand polishes and Collinite brand wax (see Aloha & Welcome to Our Oasis for All Your Auto Detailing Supplies & Accessories (http://www.pakshak.com/index.html), where you can also get good microfiber towels).

Washing without marring the paint is a lot harder than most people would ever imagine! I`d look at some of the threads about washing (I have one in the Hall of Fame forum titled something like "Accumulator`s Non-marring Wash Technique") and develop a plan.

The interior shouldn`t take much more than a) keeping it clean, b) cleaning it gently when it needs it, c) treating the leather every now and then. All the Porsches I`ve had came with durable leather that didn`t need too much pampering.

The best advice I can give you is to do some research. Check out the learning resources here and study up. Keeping that Cayman S nice is a goal worthy of a little study ;)